Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I managed to get some testing done today.  I took my worst running locomotive and tested it through the turnouts using the frog juicer circuits.  I bought two - six frog boards to start with - to do a test before making the financial commitment to buy enough boards for the entire expansion.  Well the testing went great - I ran the locomotive as slow as it would go and it went through the turnouts without hesitation. I should mention again that the turnouts on this section of the layout are all Peco electro frog.  Based on what I saw today Tammy Valley got an order for six more hex boards which will give me enough for this expansion.  I got a feeling that I will be replacing some turnouts on my layout with the same setup.  I have a few places where I'm not happy with the running performance through turnouts.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update:  The frog juicer boards arrived along with all the other supplies I needed to finish the wiring of the layout expansion. So, that's what I will be doing during my layout build time the next few weeks. I decided to wait to start some structure builds until I get this expansion complete - I want to get all the rolling stock and locomotives out of storage this winter.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

very nicely done. WOW you can even take a nap.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on September 28, 2019, 01:19:15 PM
Hey John:

very nicely done. WOW you can even take a nap.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the compliments. I finished up the connections to the main control panel today, so my nap spot will need to be moved.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I installed and powered up the 6 new Frog Juicier boards bringing the total up to 8.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also finished pulling and powering all the wires for the power blocks. Here is a couple pictures of the wiring connections under the main control panel.  Now - I need to complete all of the drops from the tracks and make the connections with suitcase connectors. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project.   ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John Siekirk

S&S RR

It's hard to take an overall picture under the control panel with my iPhone so I took two and I think you can see where they go together.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The extra power blocks are for the upper level - Phase V.
John Siekirk

MAP

Wow!  All of the boards looks like you can operate a Space Shuttle!  Amazing work.
Mark

jerryrbeach

John,

Even with all the numbered terminal strips I have no idea how you keep from going crazy trying to keep everything straight.  What an undertaking.  All I can say is, better you than me, brother. 
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: MAP on September 29, 2019, 07:01:43 PM
Wow!  All of the boards looks like you can operate a Space Shuttle!  Amazing work.

Mark

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words.  Like the Space Shuttle it's one circuit at a time.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 30, 2019, 07:47:52 AM
John,

Even with all the numbered terminal strips I have no idea how you keep from going crazy trying to keep everything straight.  What an undertaking.  All I can say is, better you than me, brother.

Jerry

Thank you for following along - I'm fine with the wiring until one circuit starts talking to the other or I get a short, then it drives me crazy figuring out what went wrong. I'm at the point with this project that I want to get it done and move on to structure building. I have spent a lot of time pulling and connecting wires this summer.
John Siekirk

jimmillho

John,
I think that you have done a fine job of wiring.  I know it looks complicated, but you have labeled everything to make it easier to follow..

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: jimmillho on September 30, 2019, 11:53:50 AM
John,
I think that you have done a fine job of wiring.  I know it looks complicated, but you have labeled everything to make it easier to follow..

Jim

Jim

Thank you for the complement, it looks complicated because there are so many circuits but each circuit is pretty simple. You have to label everything or one day you're going to reach into the cabinet to adjust a tortoise machine and have a half dozen loose wires to trace to get everything working again.
John Siekirk

cuse

When "civilians" peek in and see my layout, they say "oh, how neat" or "that's cute". When someone unexpectedly sees John's, they back out slowly as if they stumbled into a bomb factory or a secret CIA/NASA satellite tracking station ;D

Amazing stuff!

John