Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: East End Market  (Read 83597 times)

Erieman

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
East End Market
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »
  Good Morning All and welcome to the New Year.

About a year ago or so, Raymo posted a picture of a building in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. Actually, I think he posted it on the other forum. Well, I really fell in love with that structure and have had it in the back of my mind for quite a while. Earlier in week, I sent Dan an email inquiring if he still had photos on the building. Boy, Dan came thru in spades. (more in a minute). While I don't know any history behind the building, it exemplifies some of the characteristics that we see in the buildings from Bob Van Gelder of SRMW. And many of you know how much I like the buildings from SRMW! In a conversation with Dan yesterday, He told me that the East End Market is actually very close to SRMW's Hooker structure which is the Reed Supply company in St. Johnsbury. In looking at the building, it clearly has gone thru many additions from the original structure. And this is a long building.

Dan sent me a boatload of photographs of the building along with a dimensional drawing of the building footprint. That being said, I am ready to go. Well almost. Yesterday I cut out a piece of foamboard to see the actual size. I am now looking at two towns on my layout to see if I can incorporate it into one of them. There will be a lot of design issues, materials, etc. that need to be defined before the building is actually constructed. I will probably build a couple of cardstock models to evaluate size and footprint issues. The building might be built as its originally design, prior to the other additions, or not. Lots of considerations with this project. So, that being said, Here are some of the photos that Raymo sent me. Thanks again Dan. I hope you enjoy the project.

Frank / Erieman

Raymo

• View Profile
Re: East End Market
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
No problem Frank. It's going to fun to see it built! Raymo

Erieman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 02:53:28 PM »
No problem Frank. It's going to fun to see it built! Raymo

Dan,

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure that I will asking more questions as this build proceeds. You were right, this is a big building. I have taken your dimensions and put them on a piece of foamboard to get a feel for actual size. I have made some slight deviations to the dimensions to see if it all will fit. Next up is a cardstock model in three dimensions to see what it really looks like. The windows and doors might be a challenge as well. I've been working on several Sylvan cars and trucks for my Hookers module. I need the vehicles and lots of junk to make it complete. Thanks for stopping by.

Frank / Erieman

Here are a couple more building pics that Dan provided. 

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
Should be interesting to see this one develop, Frank.

Just a thought - if you are not opposed to making a few changes - the square addition might look good in brick?

Cheers, Mark.

Erieman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:23:57 PM »
Should be interesting to see this one develop, Frank.

Just a thought - if you are not opposed to making a few changes - the square addition might look good in brick?

Cheers, Mark.

Mark,,
Thanks for stopping by and offering your idea on a brick addition. Interesting consideration. I am just starting this project and will be looking at many, many aspects of the building design, material selection and arrangement. Stay tuned as the building develops. Thanks again for stopping by.

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »
Frank,

You know I'll be following along. Any pictures of the build yet?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom ;D
If you hate plan A, you are certainly not going to like plan B!

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
Frank,

You know I'll be following along. Any pictures of the build yet?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom ;D

Tom,

Only a retired guy would ask another retired guy this silly question! I was going to tell you that those pictures ARE the model. Well, not yet anyway.
First I have to take the overall dimensions that Raymo sent me and translate them into building height, window size, etc...The main building has the most details that will need to be developed. I am also looking on where  I can put such a large structure. My first two choices are not looking good. My third consideration would be at the end of the island between the two Oranges / East and West. I have a lot on my plate so this build is going to take some time, but I'll try to post something every week until I get my newsletter out. You remember the newsletter / right?. I am pumped about this building. I just hope that Raymo doesn't find anymore buildings up there that I might like.

When are you going to post more pics on your layout progress or do i have to Skype you?

Frank / Erieman

jlgrove

• View Profile
    • www.carolinacraftsmankits.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 06:48:25 AM »
...anxious to see Frank's results with this one...this is one of those buildings that you would never believe all the additions/angles/roofs unless you saw it in a pictures.....I like the brick idea for the one addition.....this one was on my kit "to do" list....love all the roof lines on it....get on it Frank.... ::) ::)
CCK - Home of the groovy kits!

ACL1504

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 09:00:21 AM »
Frank,

I'll get more photos of the layout up in a day or two. I've been very busy being retired! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry I missed the call the other day. I'll be here most of today - in the train room that is.

Tom ;D

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
...anxious to see Frank's results with this one...this is one of those buildings that you would never believe all the additions/angles/roofs unless you saw it in a pictures.....I like the brick idea for the one addition.....this one was on my kit "to do" list....love all the roof lines on it....get on it Frank.... ::) ::)

Good Morning Jeff and Happy New Year to you. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at one of my next projects. Yes, I said one of my next projects. One thing about this hobby is that there is always something to do. It's like taking me to a candy store, except this one has trains. Currently, I am planning a huge steel mill area on the layout, fixing a small track issue, replacing switch machines to Circuitrons, adding trees and scenery ina couple of towns, etc.... You know what I mean.

I am excited about this building. When i first Raymo post it, I sent him an email seeking more info. I don't know about the brick addition yet. I'm still trying to figure out size. Raymo gave me the basic floor plan dimensions and the rest is up to me. I need to clean off the "old drafting table" so I can do some scale drawings before I start with cardboard. I'll keep everyone apprised of my progress. This is going to take some time, at least for me.

Good to hear from you. Hope the Amherst show is good for you. Too many things going on here otherwise I would make the long trek.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »
Frank,

I'll get more photos of the layout up in a day or two. I've been very busy being retired! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry I missed the call the other day. I'll be here most of today - in the train room that is.

Tom ;D

Good Morning Tom,

Sounds like retirement is treating you well. "In the train room most of the day" is a good mantra. I try, but the wife keeps finding things for me to do. Keep working on the build, post lots of pics and watch your head.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 12:50:46 PM »
Good Morning All,

After my brief initial post, i have been working on the design of the structure using the photographs that Raymo sent me. I have started with the basis floor plan dimensions. From the floor plan, I am working on the elevations. I have been looking at all the photographs and establishing how the building was constructed and what size each detail might be. I am making design details and adding dimensions. This is reverse design engineering of a building since that's all I have. Time will tell how it all works out. This is very time consuming because of the size of the structure. Obviously , it would be a lot easier if the building was just down the street. anybody have a friend that lives in St. Johnsbury, Vermont? I could send him layout segments of the building and he could fill in the dimensions. Oh well, nice try. Besides it's cold and snowy back there. I'll just have to keep on doing it the old fashion way.

This is probably the hardest and most time consuming part of the structure. Once all the dimensions and design details are completed, construction of the model will go quite rapidly. Or so I hope. There are a lot of very interesting details and weathering characteristics on this building. That being said, i better get back to it. Have a great day. 

I will be posting images of the design details as they become available.

Have a great day.

Frank / Erieman

S&S RR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 06:33:13 PM »
Frank

Great looking structure - very neat project! I'm looking forward to following along - and I sure hope there's nothing wrong with having a dozen projects going at once - I sure can't keep from doing it.  That reminds me - add putting a box full of tree makings supplies together for making trees at Frank's to the list. We are having below zero temperatures here this week may just start that way sooner than planed. ;)

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 07:47:57 AM »
Frank and John,

If I didn't have all the various projects going at one time I'd feel like I wasn't doing any at all.  ;D ;D ;D

Tom 8)

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »
Frank and John,

If I didn't have all the various projects going at one time I'd feel like I wasn't doing any at all.  ;D ;D ;D

Tom 8)

Good Morning Tom,

I know what of what you speak. I don't dare count how many train related items are in planning, under construction, etc... then there is the house, and my mothers house and more. And, of course, the divisional newsletter is coming due. I'm not complaining, how about a little overwhelmed. Love it, especially being retired. Russ was down the other day and we installed a wireless extender in my room. He had the same problem in his train room. He kept losing signal on his phone controlling his trains. The wireless extender solved the problem. It now works in my room. It also will work on my phone with Skype. so we should try viewing the layout. Call me on Skype (phone) when you emerge from under the layout.  Hopefully better than the last time.

Have a great day.

Frank / Erieman