Making railroad ties

Started by Oldguy, February 10, 2015, 10:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

S&S RR

Bob

I enjoyed the video - Thanks for sharing it.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PennsyJ1

History is always great to hear about and interesting. Thanks
Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

ACL1504

Great video, I've seen it before and its well worth watching.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Makes me tired to watch them..............

I"m going to take a nap now.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

coors2u

Sure makes my job now look easy. Great ideas for dioramas and logging themed layout.
Dustin

jerryrbeach

Bob,
Thanks for posting the link to the video.  I found it both interesting and informative. 
Jerry

NEBrownstone

model Railroader did an article in the early 70's about a tie plant.  Pretty interesting.  Lots of 2ft narrow gauge intermingled with standard.  It would make a neat layout or set of modules.

GPdemayo

I really enjoyed the film.....thanks Bob.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for the link, what an interesting video.
Jeff

UP Fan

Great film, Bob.  Thanks for sharing with us.  Can you imagine a 10 hr day doing the work those men did?   Made my back and shoulders hurt just watching them.   :-\

Bob

moonlicht

great movie, now i know 24" is used as wel 8)
Cor

LoggerMike

I was brought up on a sawmill in southern Ohio, on my Grandfathers farm in late 60's and early 70's....see that sawyer and mill brought back so many memories.  We cut our own trees, ( chainsaws), "snaked" them off the hills, with horse teams and a Tractor, carried to our Mill on trucks or wagons, and took to the C&O or B&O yards on a truck.  We took an avg load of 75 ties each trip.

A lot of work for a teenager....made me into who I am today....I miss those days, sometimes.

That's why my layout is geared toward Logging.

Great movie.

Logger Mike,
Charlotte area

oldbloodhound

Quote from: NEBrownstone on February 12, 2015, 08:07:39 AM
model Railroader did an article in the early 70's about a tie plant.  Pretty interesting.  Lots of 2ft narrow gauge intermingled with standard.  It would make a neat layout or set of modules.

I thought the same thing Russ about making a nice manufacturing plant for a layout.  Could use On30 to get the ties from the saw mill to the plant and then after processing, load them onto standard gauge boxcars or gondolas.  And I never knew that ties themselves were floated down river; another interesting theme.