Good pitch

Started by LongHornCaddy, May 26, 2015, 01:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongHornCaddy

Adding "pitch" (black tar) around chimneys and roofing is a great detail to add to structures.  I always have a hard time applying the pitch whether using scale lumber of a small brush.  The pitch always seemed to come out a scale foot wide.

While getting out a new bottle of Flamingo glue yesterday I noticed the accompanying small bottle and 2 tips.  The tips appear to be from a mechanical pencil.  I mixed a half oz of Elmers plain white glue and some black acrylic paint and the poured mixture into the small bottle and put the tip on it.   I applied the pitch with ease to the areas I wanted it.  Avoid getting an air bubble in the tip as this will cause a burst when it comes out.

Hope someone finds this useful

ACL1504

Leo,

Good to see you. I trust you and Lori are doing fine and the railroad is progressing. Any new pictures?

Yes, the tip was very useful. I haven't tried the NE Flamingo glue but others here have and really like the results.

Another product for good pitch is the Black Gallery Glass. It's a simulated liquid leading.

Thanks for the ino.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

UP Fan

Thank you for the tip Leo.  Your roof pitch looks very even.  I have to contact North Eastern and order a couple of these bottles.

Amagic41

Tom I agree on the Black Gallery Glass I have switched to that and if you don't go overboard when puncturing the tip it makes a nice bead ....just my 2 cents

Kenny
Ken Crump
KC's Workshop
Bowie,Md
www.kcworkshop.com

S&S RR

Thanks,  for the tip I'm going to give it a try.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

oldbloodhound

The only kit glue I use is the pink flamingo with the metal tips.
Using for applying "tar" sealant is a great tip.  Thanks LH  8)

LongHornCaddy

Tom,

Lorrie and I have had a busy year so far.    We snuck out of town yesterday hoping for a few days of R&R. We're heading back early though  because  Lorries daughter is being evacuated from her home  due to a potential  dam break in Midlothian TX. 

We have been working on the layout and will post some pictures when  we're  finished with the town currently under construction.  Lorrie has finished all the backdrop  downstairs.  She did a great job. 

How  is your layout coming along with all the new track?  Do you have a thread here?  The Texas  Western  MRR Club sure appreciated your generosity.   That was a stand up move on your  part.

Leo

ACL1504

Leo,

I sent you and Lorrie a PM. 8)

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Nice tip Leo.....good to see your work again.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL