my first attempt at mold making

Started by rustyfawcett, January 21, 2014, 05:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyfawcett

I need a few of these I did not want to buy all of them so I made a mold using 2 part rv rubber and 2 part resin. worked well now I can make as many as I need. if you wnat to know the products used .post reply

BrianM

Very nice!

I am curious about the elasticity of the mould material that you used given the amount of mould stretch necessary to clear the headstones on top of the piers when you pull the casting.  Any idea how many pours you might get out of the mould before it tears in that area?
BrianM - sometimes home in San Antonio, TX

NEMMRRC

Quote from: BrianM on January 21, 2014, 05:59:26 PM
Very nice!

I am curious about the elasticity of the mould material that you used given the amount of mould stretch necessary to clear the headstones on top of the piers when you pull the casting.  Any idea how many pours you might get out of the mould before it tears in that area?
I had the same question. I wonder would it be better to make a separate mold for the headstones and glue both castings together...

Nice job.

Jaime

rustyfawcett

The rubber used was alumilite quick set. Nothing quick about it 8 to 18 cure time. It is a 1 to1 ratio by vlm or wt. The resin used was amazing  casting resin  demold 5 min. As far as I can tell the is a LOT of stretch to the rubber.  As far as hiw many pours  b4 it tares I dont really know but there is pleanty of stretch. I am waiting on the store to order me some more rubber but I will be doing a tutorial on mold  making soon. Hope this answers your questions. 

BrianM

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm really looking forward to your tutorial!
BrianM - sometimes home in San Antonio, TX

halrey

Hal Reynolds
Atlantic Scale Modelers
PO Box 223
Peabody, MA 01960

rpdylan

What brand of mold making rubber did you use?
Bob C.