Something from nothing

Started by barrymk, December 28, 2013, 11:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrymk

Not sure if this is the right heading to put this, more super details than super detailing to my mind but here goes.  I've had an old cast metal van (panel truck) body from a vintage Matchbox model that I disembowelled over 30 years ago.  Every now and then it falls out of my scrap box. This time I looked at it and wondered if I could use it on the layout.  So I took some drills and cutters to it using my Dremel.  I cut away one of the back doors and fabricated a new one in 20 thou plasticard so I could hang it askew. Then I cut a strip from one side of the body and glued in a piece of basswood. Next I cut a strip of tissue to fit the gap and painted one side to match the body and tan on the inside.  When dry I glued it to the bottom half of the wood panel, pulled back the top of the tissue and cut away the top part of the wood. The result, I hope, is a torn and peeling piece of siding.  A couple of holes in the roof  and a strip of basswood to represent a sprung roof board and it was time to dust it up and place on a base. This is a freeform shaped piece of foam with sloped sides covered in plaster cloth.  The sloped sides make it easy to drop into a suitable hole in the layout base and the odd shape is easier to disguise than straight lines.  A few details dotted around (the still took all of 10 minutes to build from an old plastic oil drum, a bit of metal from the scrapbox and some fusewire) and there you are. Something from nothing so to speak.

tabooma county rwy

Excellent work, Barry!  I think the torn piece of siding looks very convincing.  I'm a "vehicle nut" myself and you've given me some great ideas for things in my scrapbox.

Al Carter

ak-milw

Nice job and now it won't keep falling from your scrapbox.

8)

robertseckler

Barry

I think you picked the correct category

Enjoy

And Great Work!!!

barrymk

Thanks very much. For virtually no financial cost it was an enjoyable couple of hours work.

Dwayne

rrkreitler

Barry, this is outstanding. Quick projects like this always add a lot of visual interest when they are scattered around dioramas, modules and layouts and they add a lot of original flavor. They are surprisingly quick and easy to do but you don't see a lot of guys giving it a try.

You set a fine example here. Hope it inspires a few other folks.

barrymk

Cheers Dave

I bet we all have a bit of old tat lying around that we could make something of.  It's just finding the inspiration.  I like to do little 2 or 3 hour projects like this when I'm getting bogged down in something bigger.

DarkJester

Wow, that's really cool.   8)
I'm always amazed by the talent that exists in hobbyland.
Nicely done sir, nicely done.

Jester

barrymk

Cheers - Always ready to accept a little glory over here! :D  My wife is very supportive as the hobby pleases me but I reckon she quietly thinks it's nuts. Nice to get feedback from one's peers.

PHQRR

Cool little scene, great way to get a piece of scrap out of the way. 8)

tct855

This is really imaginative.  Very cool.  Thanks for sharing!  Thanx Thom...