RTV molds for white metal casting

Started by bilas68, January 22, 2014, 08:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilas68

Just curious if anyone has experience with white metal casting using RTV molds. I know that RTV for that purpose does exist. It seems like it is less messy way and possible more economical to make just few detail parts.

Vilius

rustyfawcett

bilas68

Your post actually prompted me to start this one. Have you tried pouring white metal into your mold?

Vilius

rustyfawcett

No I have not. Only one reason being metal warps bends where resin is rigid and will not. BUT not to say I wont try it. Would be nice for really small things and you can remelt the scraps vrs resin its a waste. So now my wheels are turning.  Haha I gonna try it. I keep ya posted  also I do know micro mark sells a video on casting metals

bilas68

Post your findings please. I am interested in scratchbuilding some doors and then replicating them.

bruce.oberleitner

Vilus,
If you don't need the items to be white metal castings, I've been playing around with a system that produces fantastic resin castings of near equal quality to metal.  The only difference is that the resin castings sometimes get little bumps on them which I think is caused by when the resin sets up to full strength.  If you want to know more about it, let me know and I will post it here on the website.

bilas68

Bruce,
Sorry, I've missed your post. Sure, I would like to learn more about resin casting. The reason I am thinking doing metal casting is that parts I want to make are quite shallow and may have very thin details. What concerns me about resin is that I would have to mix very small amounts of it and I may not get proportions right. Bubbles is another issue. I've bought some detail parts off of eBay and they are loaded with bubble holes. I am not sure if this is because the person doing casting is very incompetent or is it because only experts can do it right. Anyway, let me know.

Vilius