Shelby's Marine Service

Started by sdrees, March 02, 2017, 09:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrees

I recently started construction on Sierra West Scale Models Shelby's Marine Service.  This kit was released in 1998.  I wanted to take a break from the layout construction once the track was completed.  But I still have 50 switches to install.

Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

The first step is to prepare the strip wood.  I did this by mixing a jar of about 20ounces of water and adding a teaspoon of India Ink to the solution.  Instead of adding Polyscale paints, I added Model Master acrylic paint, 3/4 - 1 teaspoon of grimy black, a oily black and dirt, to the solution.  There are 11 bags of strip wood to stain.  Each bag of strip wood was placed in a shallow pan filled with the stain and allowed to soak for 24 hours or so.  I used this older technique because there is so much strip wood in this kit, it seemed a lot faster that using the pastel chalks and alcohol. Also, since I have done both methods, the soaking method tuned out very well.
Steve Drees
SP RR

rpdylan

24 hours in water doesn't swell/ soften the strip wood?
Bob C.

postalkarl

Hi Steve:

Have fun with that one. Looks like a nice kit.

Karl

GPdemayo

Looking forward to this build Steve.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

sdrees

The strip wood does not get soft nor swell at all Bob. 

Thanks for the encouragement Karl and Greg.
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

Here is what the strip wood looks like after taking out of pan and air dried.  The color is varied among the boards and within the individual boards.  It has a nicely aged look to it.
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

I use a template to build the framing for the walls.  I use double sided scotch tape to hold the studs in place.
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

Here are several pictures of the siding applied to the stud walls.  The peeling paint effect was achieved with the damp brush technique found on Sierra West site. 
Steve Drees
SP RR

ACL1504

Steve,

I meant to comment earlier but got side tracked. This will be another winner for all of us to see your building skills in action.

I'm on the front row having worked my way up. :P

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

sdrees

Tom,

Hope you will enjoy it. 
Steve Drees
SP RR

ACL1504

Quote from: sdrees on March 04, 2017, 04:33:23 PM
Tom,

Hope you will enjoy it.

Steve,

I am already enjoying it. Thanks for posting the thread.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

sdrees

The second story walls are chip board and need to be braced to prevent warping.  This was done with 1/4" strip wood.

Also, the second story chip board walls and the first story are glued together and the trip is applied. The front wall first and second story walls are not in line.
Steve Drees
SP RR

rpdylan

Awesome work! I need to try your strip wood technique! Love the way your walls came out!
Bob C.

sdrees

Hi Bob,

Thanks, For more information on this go to the Sierra West Scale Models Web site.  There is a lot of information there on these and more techniques.
Steve Drees
SP RR