backwoods work train

Started by pete, February 25, 2014, 09:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete

Hi Guys!

I managed to pick up both HO scale and HOn3 versions of Sierra West's backwoods work train. I am curious what you all think of what the better of the two are? I will end up building one whole set, then sell the other. I have opened both boxes, both seem fantastic. I am leaning towards the narrow gauge version, only because it will fit my "theme" better than the standard gauge one would. BUT....my thoughts on owning the standard gauge is because the detail is so much better.

Has anyone out there built both? Opinions?

Pete

ReadingBob

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those Pete.  Hopefully someone will offer an opinion.  I bet they're interesting kits.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

coors2u

Dustin

pete

Dustin

But then what to do with them?

Pete

davegatesCO

I would take the HO ones off your hands!

They look great.  I will follow your build.

Dave

cuse

Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired the Sierra West Backwoods Work Train after admiring it in contest rooms and forums for years. I've already overcommitted real estate to structures and am excited to add this degree of interest to some sidings. I have a question I'm hoping you can help with.

-I model HOn30...what trucks and couplers would you suggest I order for the best appearance (and ease of installation). Please consider two things ...This kit is way over my head at the moment but I plan to patiently, methodically build it car by car over the coming years-so, ease of install is a factor. Also, I doubt I'll ever run it-I see it more as a foreground structure that happens to sit on rails-so optimum operating quality is a distant second priority to appearance and ease. I have the HOn3 version and I'm hoping to do as little modification as possible, BUT let me know if there are some that are just too important (and easy?) to ignore-considering the slightly tighter gauge.

Thanks in advance...John

pete

John

Hi, Pete here. I have yet to build either set of the work trains, but I have purchased all the 'extras' needed for building both HO and HOn3 sets. In the instructions, Brett suggests very specific trucks and couplers for each gauge. Since you are working with HOn30, I would start looking at Fox Valley wheelsets and Shapeways truck side frames. They are not cheap! As for couplers, again, follow Bretts suggestion. I have both wheelsets and side frames that I'd be happy to sell to you at a discounted price if that is what you are looking for.

Pete