How much is too much?

Started by Zephyrus52246, April 11, 2017, 12:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Over the years I've accumulated a LOT of scenery materials from various manufacturers.  If I use all of them I think it will be overpowering.  However, I remember Mr. Frary saying he adds layer after layer after layer, and his scenery looks pretty good.   ;D These two pics show the same area, the one is a little dark, the second with the flash a little too bright, the colors are actually in between.  Is this not enough or too many combos of stuff?  And I still need to get/make ::)  some trees. 

Jeff

ReadingBob

I like it!  I'd say you're spot on.  I think you could safely add a little more without it being too overpowering but I wouldn't go with anything less.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

bparrish

Jeff...

Looks good to me.........

I think the issue what does the area look like that you are modeling.   In downtown Idaho we have a lot of exposed dirt as we get about 12" of rain fall per year and it doesn't come after June during the summer. So stuff goes real dry here.

I'm not begging a conversation here about what day of the week are you modeling. It is however, a discussion about what you and your visitors are expecting to see.  Then.......... how well does it match?

For now......... I think you are on to it. 

Very cool... sir

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Jeff

Once the world returns to life in Iowa, take some pictures and use them in your modeling.  I think what you have is a great start.  Next, as you said you need to add some trees and/or bigger bushes.  Then you need to add the old leaves/needles/pinecones on the ground around them. My artist friends tell me never use one color or shade of colors.  If you are using green use at least 3 shades of green. I have been reading some artist "how to books" about painting landscapes and it has really helped me with my scenery modeling on the layout.

One other point - be careful with ground foam.  There are some really unnatural colors being produced.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

They both look great but the top one is the best representation of what I picture the slope to look like.

I also think a small tree on either the left or right slope would really set it off.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jbvb

You're in the right ballpark, subject to season, climate and soil.  But it's also worth thinking about what the Little People would be doing to the landscape.  We tend to mow grass, cut back trees and get rid of brush growing near buildings.  Of course, then we plant shrubs.... It can be even more pronounced when it's a business building.
James

tct855

Jeff,
         I like the first or top picture looks good to me.  I think Dave Frary is right, multiple layers looks better than one layer.  I think your idea of trees is also a good complete to an already good lookin' scene.   Keep using that miracle grow.  Thanx Thom...

richbeau

Dave would also say stop when you think it's enough. Let it go and come back in a week or two. You might find it needs another layer. If not you're good-to-go.

rslaserkits

Looks great to me, maybe a  tree  or a few tall shrubs as a hedge  would finish it.
rich

cuse

Dr. Jeff,

Looks great to me! It looks very realistic and layered. I can't tell if you did, but you may want to vary lengths and colors of static grass material. I don't vary the color much, just enough to make it "imperfect". If and when you add trees scatter some leaves and limbs around...I use a variety of stuff for that, but one of my staples is tea leaves. They're too small individually, but add a nice "scatter-able" sense of leaves...good along the shoulder of the road too.

Again-looks great. I haven't been here as much lately, but you're doing some really nice work!

John

Mkrailway

Jeff,

Take a look at this rather long video on how Steve sceniced a grass field.

https://youtu.be/I7Gaw9-Ru5E

jerryrbeach

Jeff,
I, too, would say you pretty much nailed it.  You have enough variation in color and texture to look interesting, yet not enough to look overdone or unrealistic.  I'd say add some bushes and a tree or two and call it awesome.
Jerry

ak-milw

Jeff, I pretty much agree with the others.

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for all the comments, gentlemen.  It tells me I'm headed in the right direction.  Now to make some Super Trees.

Jeff