AMB Interlocking Tower (Kit #702)

Started by PRR Modeler, July 08, 2017, 03:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Since my Saturday plans were cancelled by weather I decided to start the kit today instead of tomorrow. Today I painted the inside of the tower. The lower part was painted with Tamiya Flat Black and the part you will be able to see is a Medium Foliage Green (craft paint). I painted the floor Asphaltium (craft paint). The roof supports were painted the flat black also.

I was cheap so I built a tower lever machine that will go inside. It looks unimpressive in the photo, but I think it will be OK when inside the tower.

I ordered shingles from wild west models for the roof of the tower instead of the provided tar paper. I did this based on a conversation with Greg when we met at Tom's.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Curt,

You are off to a great start. Looks like a fun build.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

I'll b be watching Curt..... :)

Below is the version I did a while back in StL&D colors.

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Tom and Greg for following. Nice looking tower Greg.

Last night before bed I put on a coat of A&I on the exterior. Today I put a thinned coat of Buff. After that dried I used a pounce wheel for my first project with nail holes (some of it came out better than other parts). After that I ran a very thin brush with A&I over the nail holes. I also put A&I on all the trim and a thin coat of craft asphaltium paint (trim color), and drilled a hole in the floor to accommodate a light inside. I also salvaged some detail parts from the existing tower.

The directions show you putting the sides and floor together before sticking on the window frames and glass. I have to think about that, I'm all for putting all that stuff on before assembling the walls, but with it being stick on I'm not sure if they will get messed up doing it that way? Any suggestions from previous AMB builders?

Curt Webb

Dave K.

Riding along, Curt. As a general rule I try to do everything I can while the walls are still flat. But, as we discussed earlier, the usual rules sometimes don't apply with AMB kits. Bracing placement, for example, usually takes careful pre-planning on these guys. Staying tuned...

PRR Modeler

Thanks for following Dave.

Here are the exterior walls. I have reduced the image size so hopefully this time it will upload.

Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Today I put on the windows, shades and doors. I also glued the walls together and put in the inside details.

Tomorrow I plan on putting on the trim and sub-roof. At that point I will stop until the shingles come in so I don't mess up the outside stairs working on the roof.

I'm glad that I went with this tower before I ordered "MO Tower" from them. It runs about $112. I won't be getting it now. I really dislike how the windows and doors are put together and applied. Live and learn I guess.

Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Today I attached the building trim, built the sub roof and attached the top door platform, braces and stair risers.  Tomorrow I should be able to finish the stairs.

I decided to build the stairs because I discovered the roof is designed to lift off the tower. I got notice the shingles shipped today so they should be in on Thursday.

No photo today.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

Just getting caught up on the tower kit. Very nicely done and looking good.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

No modeling today, instead I spent 4.5 hours pressure washing the pool deck and I'm done.
Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Today I finished installing the stairs. They came out pretty good for me (I have issues building them), not as nice as Greg's photo but good for me. The instructions weren't very good for installing the specially grooved steps, so I referred to Greg's photo. Thanks Greg.
The shingles made it in today so I will be installing them tomorrow.

Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

I don't understand why suddenly my photos are posting sideways.
Curt Webb

Dave K.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

postalkarl