Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKP768

Really looking good Steve

Doug

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

Jerry

Always like when you update.  That is really coming along.  Beautiful work.

I can see you put a lot of thought into placing things before making the final decision.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks Jerry.

Small update today..

I finished the roof, a few of the other small details on the gas station and I glued it down last night.

Next step will be working on some of the small mini scenes around the area and detailing around the structures.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

ACL1504

Steve,

Bonney Wrenches and Mitchell's are both excellent. Well done indeed.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Hello Steve, I am really enjoying your layout build thread. You have a real talent for placing the structures in a very interesting and realistic fashion. It all looks great.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

GPdemayo

Looks great Steve..... 8)  If Mitchell's is a kit, who is the manufacturer?
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

SteveCuster

Thanks Tom, Jeff and Greg. I really appreciate all the positive feedback!

Greg, it's part of FSM Roadside Delights I just changed the name. The other part is the diner behind it.
Steve Custer

SteveCuster

Small update today...I added the outside drive-up service ramp and a small shed over the weekend.

The ramp is part of the FSM Roadside Delights. Its made with U channel wood and wood bracing. I sprayed it with flat black and weathered it with some rust colored chalks. I did have a little bit of a problem with a gap in the front left corner under the leg.

I covered up any gaps between the legs and the concrete with rags. The rags are super easy to make and a must detail for any mechanical repair scene. They also work really well for covering up stuff like a gap or maybe a less than high quality casting. I added some grime and grease under the ramp also.

I put together this little shed. This is also part of Roadside Delights.

This picture gives an idea of how the scene is starting to unfold. I already put together a vehicle for the ramp and I'll start adding all the details along the fence and around the structures.

The scene should start to really come to life this week. I've already completed most of the castings for the area and I still have a few vehicles to put together.

Steve Custer

nycjeff

Hello Steve, great job as usual. What do you use to make those rags ?  This will be a great scene when done.    Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

NKP768

Nice scene Steve - could you do a step by step tutorial on how you get your gray weathered siding look i.e. the L shaped structure in the background with blue trim? -Thanks.
Doug

SteveCuster

Thanks Jeff and Doug.

Jeff, sorry I actually meant to give a little description of how I make them in the post but I forgot. Its really simple - I separate a tissue into a single ply, cut it into a little square maybe 1/4" x 1/4" up to 1/2" or 1" for tarps. Then I crumple it up between my fingers in a little ball, uncrumple it and put a little drop of glue where I want it. I use a medium-small brush to put a drop of alcohol on it to relax it. I want it pretty wet but not wetting the area around it then to color it I use the same alcohol brush and dip it in red acrylic paint (In this case its Boxcar Red from Reaper Miniatures/SierraWest paint set) If your tissue is wet enough it should wick into the tissue and you don't really have to paint it. If you buy a name brand tissue they have a doily pattern on the outer edge, just make sure you cut your square from the middle of the tissue where the pattern isn't there.

Doug, I have a detailed description of building that kit in this thread-
http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4548.0

For almost all of my painting I use the mineral spirits under craft paint technique. I find it easy to control and it gives a nice faded/peeling paint effect. You only need to be careful with red colors- they have tendency to turn pink when you work them with a wire brush. The white siding on Mitchell's is done the same way (walls colored with A&I followed by mineral spirits and a top coat of Apple Barrel White before the mineral spirits completely dries (I want to see a little shine but not wet).

Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Beautiful modeling Steve. The ramp is a really nice detail.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision