Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Thanks Karl! I'm not sure about a name yet..I don't want to name it after the one in town because it's really not a model of that bridge, just inspired by it.

Thanks John! I do like the Coca Cola stencil on George's bridge but I'm not sure if I'm going to put anything on the side of it or not. George's goes over a road so it makes sense to target advertising there. This will go over water so I'm not so sure, also before I built this I looked at lots of covered bridges both present and from the past and I never saw any advertisement on them, not that it would stop me from doing that.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

You are quite welcome.

Karl

SteveCuster

Hello everyone,

I made some decent progress on the rear area working towards to the front over the last couple days. I added another structure to the layout, Builders in Scale Weiry and Sons.

I added this scene to the layout (I did a build thread for this kit also). Adding this scene allowed me to start to get the flow of the rear area a little better.

I cut out some pieces of foam to support this area.

Another layer of foam to get the base height I wanted, then I started laying out the buildings so I can get an idea of how everything will fit and how much room I have to work with.

I added some more foam over the rear section and started carving the hills/banks of the river area. The bakery is now glued in place here.

I added the stone support for the covered bridge.

Added the culverts at the end and placed the 2 other structures in their spots to mark the locations.

I filled in the hillside and added some rock castings.

I finished covering the banks with plaster, adding the rock castings and I also started a small road on the top of the little hill.

Colored the castings and glued the hotel in its place.

Glued the tenement building in place as well.

Base of ground cover was added and I started playing with some fences.

I decided I wanted a little fenced in yard in this area filled with junk.

I added a little shed and a bunch of junk then I fenced it in. I also added a bit more vegetation to the area.

Some junk was added along the front also. I added a fire hydrant and a mailbox.

This picture gives a good shot of the flow of the area.

From the other side..

That's it for now. I have a few more details to add then I start working my way forward. I'm trying to get this area mostly complete before I add anything in front of it so I don't have to reach over my work.

Thanks for following along.

Steve Custer

ACL1504

Steve,

This is one of my favorite threads to follow. It just gets better each week. Thanks for taking the time to  post and show us your excellent layout.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

Steve,
Great job on that covered bridge !!!
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Jerry

WOW!  Looks like it's going to be banner year 2022 for the Cypress Creek RR.

This just such a fine railroad and your work is so exceptional!

One of my favorite RR.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Happy New Year Steve!!  :)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks Tom, Tom and Jerry!

Happy New Year to you as well!
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Incredible looking modeling Steve.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Stunning how well this area is looking with all those grand structures.....great work Steve.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

The RR & scenery look just great.

Karl

jerryrbeach

Steve,

When I look at your modeling I am struck not only by how well you execute each structure but also your ability to place them on the layout in a way that entices the viewer's eye into the scene.  Thanks for taking the time to share your modelign with us!
Jerry

SteveCuster

Thanks Karl and Jerry!

I really appreciate that Jerry, I spend a lot of time placing and thinking and rethinking about where things look and feel most natural while also trying to showcase the most interesting parts of the buildings. Your feedback lets me know I'm heading the right direction.

I spent a little time today getting the other side of the river bank built up out of foam.

I needed to add a support under the next diorama but also give myself enough room to still work the area. I added a few cross braces and cut a piece of 2" foam but I left a hole where I could still get in and work.

I marked off where Barnstead Lumber will go. I also mocked up a stone retaining wall. I couldn't afford the space of an embankment here due to the size of the next diorama that will get placed to the left of Barnstead.

I hacked a punch of foam to fill in the area between Barnstead and the other side of the layout. The covered bridge isn't glued down but the supports are. I won't add the bridge till I pour the water.

Different shot of the area.

Shot from the other side.

That's all for today. The glue is drying, and I filled a few rock casting molds. Next step will be filling in the hillside with some plaster.

Thanks for following along and for all the positive feedback everyone!
Steve Custer

jerryrbeach

Steve,

Fourth photo is just one of the ones that shows your ability to draw the viewer's eye into the scene.  That riverbed draws attention into the entire layout, all the way to the far end of the room.
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Beautiful job so far. I can't wait to see it with the river in place.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision