Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

All I can say is WOWWIE!!!! The layout is coming along just beautifully. Love the Gas station & diner. Actually I shouldn't be choosey all you structures are just beautiful and very professionally done.

Karl

SteveCuster

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!

I started adding the details this evening. I had intended to get both Mitchells and Bonney Wrenches detailed a bit tonight but I ended up only working on the gas station.

I had a large gap between the concrete and the bottom of the wall here so I needed to make sure my details all covered it up.

I added all the stuff across the front here. Many of the castings came with Roadside Delights but I'm not sure which ones.

The area around the ramp was where I spent the most time. I really wanted it junked up and messy. I need to touch up the top of the Clabber sign. The white edge is driving me nuts in these pictures.

More details.. I still need to add some dirt and oil spots on the ground but I needed to wait till everything dried first.

I didn't detail the interior of the garage because it wont be visible from the front of the layout very easily. I'll place a vehicle in the door opening to cover up the missing interior.

I placed a car on the ramp. This is a Wheel Works 32 Ford Victoria kit.

Thanks for following along. I'll start detailing Bonney Wrenches tomorrow if everything works out.

Steve Custer

fsmcollector67

Steve,
Looking excellent as always....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

S&S RR

Steve

Beautiful work, I love all the details.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

sdrees

Great looking project Steve.  The details make it.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Jerry

Steve great detailing.  You do a really good job putting everything in a proper place to make the scene pop!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback and thanks for taking the time to comment.

Small update today..

I put a truck inside the bay door for the shop. This is a Sylvan kit. I added a couple sinks and some wood in the bed for some added character. I also added the Texaco Sign.

I added some details around the bottom of Bonney Wrenches. I had a pretty decent gap along the bottom so I needed to make sure I used details that would cover.

Another shot of the area..

I placed Mortons back in its home to get a feel for what still needs to be done behind it.

Next step will be building something small to fit in this little area here. After that I should be able to start to finish the scenery and details behind the foundry.
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Beautiful work, Steve. The clutter is the crowning touch.  And I agree with Curt--excellent photos.

--Opa George

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really great, Steve.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

WOWWIE!!!!! How beautiful. Has the F&SM touch.

Karl

nycjeff

Hello Steve, I agree with the others, very nice pictures and you have a great eye for detailing your structures to make them look natural.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the positive feedback.

I spent a little time working on a few things this weekend...should have an update soon.
Steve Custer

SteveCuster

Over the weekend I started work on the creek bed and the surrounding scenery. I also built a little building for the area I had previously circled.

Nothing too complicated. I just mix plaster of paris with whatever brown paint I have and start making some hills and filling stuff in.

After the first bit dried I added some more plaster this time I placed the bridge in its spot to work the plaster around it. You can see the color is different, this was mixed with Apple Barrel Chocolate Bar and it gives it an almost purple color. It's not my favorite but it still works to keep any white from showing through.

The first layer of dirt and basic ground cover is down.

I built this little brick building for my empty area behind the foundry. It was made by combining 2 sets of walls from the little brick building off the main Chippy Hollow structure.

Everything is still wet in this picture but it gives an idea of how it's starting to come together.

The bridge is in place and I glued the track down.

I also started adding some details around the building. I'm not sure how visible everything will be once I place the foundry in front of it.

The other side. I also added some more black/gray weathering to the concrete road.

Thanks for following along..
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision