Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Great to see you continued progress, Steve.

Your road, even in its primitive state, seems to have a nice flow about it.

Cheers, Mark.

Jerry

The flow of things going to the front is very easy on the eyes.  Great work Steve.
Looking forward to more.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Keep It Rusty

Endlessly interesting as always, Steve. Maybe that culvert needs a looming tree with tire swing — or maybe it's become a dumping ground for locals? Doug Foscale just posted an awesome video about trash in a low tide.

Do you have a structure in mind to replace where the FSM kit would've gone?

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Wow!!!!! looks just beautiful. Can't wait o see that RR.

Karl

ACL1504

Steve,

Absolutely the best. Extremely well done in all areas.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the positive feedback.

In all honesty this is way further than I've ever built a layout and I'm just sort of feeling my way through it. Most everything I'm doing here I've never done before so it's a learning experience. All the feedback lets me know I'm heading in the right direction.

Before I add in any water I'll definitely be adding some debris and trash in and around the water area. I still have quite a bit more detailing to do as I work my way forward. My main concern was getting the area behind Morton's Foundry detailed so that I could limit the amount of reaching over the front structures I needed to do. It's hard to really tell what will be visible once the front area starts to come together so I'm sure I'll be adding some things as I go.

Craig, I built a little open shed for the area to the right of Morton's where the FSM kit was originally planned to go but I'm not sure I like it there. I need to finish the road the see how much space I really have between the right side of Morton's and the road. I may end up just adding some clutter and a fence or something if it ends up not feeling right with a full fledge structure there. Also Cartwright's sits right in front of that area so anything I do may end up getting blocked by the relatively tall structure. I'm not having much luck visualizing the area yet so I think I need to just start putting it together and feel it out as I go. I'll let you guys know how it works out for me good or bad.

Thanks for following along everyone!

Steve Custer

SteveCuster

Good morning everyone.

Small update this morning but some progress was made last night on the layout.

I filled in this little strip between the tracks and the road with bushes and some random debris.

I scribed and colored the road. Still doesn't look like much but it'll all come together when I edge it off with the rest of the scenery.

I glued down the foundry in it's final position last night. Today or tonight I will start to tie everything together around the base with a little plaster. I also need to add an embankment to the left of the foundry to tie it into the water there. You can see where I sort of marked the foam at the place where the hill will end.

That's all for now. I'd like to get the area between the road and the foundry finished soon so that's my goal. It's smaller than I had originally envisioned so it should be easier to put together.

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Keep em coming.

Karl

SteveCuster

Yesterday I was able to get the basic ground cover down in the area next to Mortons Foundry. I also built a small shed to fill the area in a bit.

I needed to fill the area with something more than vegetation but I didn't think it needed a full fledged building so I built this little shed. It gives some variety to the area and a good spot to add some logical detail placement in and around the structure. I tried a few other structures but everything overpowered the foundry and made the area look strange. I also didn't want to block the gas station with something taller.

I added a shelving unit and a small workbench. You can see the ground is still wet. I had already let the rest of the ground cover dry before I added the shed. Before I add any details or something like this to an area I always wet it down first so I can sink it into the dirt. I try to avoid anything looking like its sitting on top of the dirt. I wanted to start adding more details to the area but I knew if I did I would disturb what I have already so I decided to wait.

Once this all dries I'll start adding more vegetation to really define the paths for vehicles in this area.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

tct855

Steve,
            Layout is coming along really very nicely!  I just love the overall scenes.
                                                                                                    Thanx Thom...

Keep It Rusty

Looks great, Steve. Love that shed.

My only "watch out", would be your dirt inside the shed itself not having too many undulations, so it looks like sand on a beach.

Coincidentally, are those bench and shelve castings from Rusty Rail?

SteveCuster

Thanks Thom and Craig.

Craig, The shelf casting is a resin casting from SierraWest I bought from Brett at one of the Expos and the bench is a FSM leftover I think (definitely white metal and a clean casting). Not sure which kit. They came from my painted castings box so I'm not 100% sure.

As far as the dirt goes I'll smooth it out once it all dries and I start to get some defined pathways in and out of the shed. I have it sifted so fine that sometimes the eye dropper of glue erodes the dirt and creates little pathways just like the beach..it's no good and definitely something that I need to correct before the scene is done. I'll end up rewetting the area a bunch more once I start adding details and plant life. That should help level everything out as well.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Who makes The Bonneys Wrenches kit? I'd like to get one. Just can't remember the manufacturer.

Karl