Dunster & West Somerset Railway

Started by madharry, August 26, 2017, 12:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

Here are some photos of the little village of Dunster in Somerset. It is the best preserved  village in the UK with a castle dating back to the 12th century. The tourist line is well worth a visit, 20 miles of preserved steam and diesel power.

Mike

madharry

and some more........... sorry about the old bloke in the picture. The round building was the Yarn Market.

madharry

and some more

madharry

and some more

madharry

and some more

madharry

and some more.

Mike

Janbouli

Thanks Mike, rural Britain is as cosy as it gets. Watching programs like Escape to the Country has always got me thinking of moving to Britain after my retirement , allas  with Brexit , not possible anymore.
I love photo's, don't we all.

madharry

Thanks Jan, once Brexit has happened I am sure it will NOT be as bad as people say. There will be a way around such problems.

Mike  :D

JimF

Thanks Harry, very, very nice.

Now, how about a trip to the Bluebell Railway, and a photo set such as this one? :)

Jim F

deemery

Looking at these made me a bit sad.  My late mother was a huge fan of England, and she would have loved Dunster.

We're talking about taking some $ from the estate to send the surviving children/grandchildren/great grandchildren to England (3 families all-told.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

tct855

Mike,
       Those are some awesome pictures my friend!  I just love all the different British/English railways. Ever since I was a kid and saw chitty chitty-bang bang and the  Longmoor Military Railway trackage seen.  And I recall I saw concrete ties in a scene or two back then when it was filmed in 68'.  I thought concrete ties was a modern thing, but as usual, I was wrong.

Like I always say with a wink, If it weren't for dlysixea dyslexia, I'd never get anything right! ha.  Thanks for sharing from across the pond.  Thanx Thom...

jbvb

I had first heard of concrete ties in the 1970s, but it appears they've been around for more than a century - the Reading RR was the first to use them on main lines circa 1896. But they became much more attractive in Europe and the UK during WWII, when suitable wood ties were difficult or impossible to obtain.  Most of the track I've seen in China uses concrete ties, and the Keighley & Worth Valley in the UK was getting them as salvage from British Railways at least 40 years ago.
James

madharry

Thanks Jim, Thom and James. That is nice idea Dave.

Here are few more........

Mike

madharry

and some more

ACL1504

Mike,

Thanks for sharing all the pictures with us. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com