Delaware & Northern Construction version 1.0

Started by jerryrbeach, February 05, 2018, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on March 17, 2021, 01:38:44 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on March 16, 2021, 01:53:07 PM
Jerry,

Very nice start indeed. You have all the necessary tools right handy. I'm looking forward to this build.

Tom  ;D

Tom,

Thanks.  I learned about keeping my tools on hand and my steps in order by following your thread.

Jerry,

Good one, cause I can never find anything I need when I need it.  ;D ;D ;D

Tom  8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Well, the only way I know to 'find my tools' is to have several of the most commonly used ones, so there's a reasonable chance I can find -1 of my 4- hammers :-) :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 17, 2021, 01:50:10 PM
Quote from: jerryrbeach on March 17, 2021, 01:38:44 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on March 16, 2021, 01:53:07 PM
Jerry,

Very nice start indeed. You have all the necessary tools right handy. I'm looking forward to this build.

Tom  ;D

Tom,

Thanks.  I learned about keeping my tools on hand and my steps in order by following your thread.

Jerry,

Good one, cause I can never find anything I need when I need it.  ;D ;D ;D

Tom  8)

You must be able to find them every once in a while.  Either that or you're able to build an amazing layout without using tools! ;D ;D ;D

PS:  If you can't find your level, check back through your thread.  I've seen lots of photos of it!  ;D ;D ;D
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: deemery on March 17, 2021, 02:16:47 PM
Well, the only way I know to 'find my tools' is to have several of the most commonly used ones, so there's a reasonable chance I can find -1 of my 4- hammers :-) :-)

dave

Dave,

I have more than one of several tools, and if I cannot find one, I probably cannot find the spares either.  That's why I try to pick up often and put the tools back where they belong.  The older I get, the harder it is to find any of the four hammers if I do not make it a point to clean up throughout any project, rather than waiting until the end when I have managed to misplace all four.
Jerry

GPdemayo

Quote from: jerryrbeach on March 17, 2021, 01:37:14 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on March 16, 2021, 09:33:17 AM
Great start Jerry.....your neatness is putting some of us to shame.  ;D ;D ;D

Greg,

Trust me, when I am laying track it becomes somewhat of a mess.  Still, it is easy to pick up after because I have the cart and a set of old bookshelves under the yard portion of the layout.  I've found having some storage space helps keep the top of the layout cleaner.   This is a self defense mechanism because when it gets messy I cannot find my tools.  ;D

I really try to keep things in their proper places Jerry, but most of the time I get busy with building a structure, it looks like a smart bomb came in thru the window 5 minutes after I start.....but I still keep trying to stay organized.  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 19, 2021, 08:44:03 AM
Quote from: jerryrbeach on March 17, 2021, 01:37:14 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on March 16, 2021, 09:33:17 AM
Great start Jerry.....your neatness is putting some of us to shame.  ;D ;D ;D

Greg,

Trust me, when I am laying track it becomes somewhat of a mess.  Still, it is easy to pick up after because I have the cart and a set of old bookshelves under the yard portion of the layout.  I've found having some storage space helps keep the top of the layout cleaner.   This is a self defense mechanism because when it gets messy I cannot find my tools.  ;D

I really try to keep things in their proper places Jerry, but most of the time I get busy with building a structure, it looks like a smart bomb came in thru the window 5 minutes after I start.....but I still keep trying to stay organized.  ::)

Greg,

I hear you!  Keeping the layout room organized is a piece of cake compared to keeping my modeling desk organized.  I use a couple old coffee cups with chipboard in the bottom of them to hold my knives, tweezers, etc.  Like you, though, shortly after I start I'm digging under walls, etc., trying to find my tools.  Either that, or the work space shrinks to the point where I cannot lay a wall flat.  That's when I stop and pick up everything and put the tools back so I can start over and make the same mess yet again.   ;D ;D
Jerry

jerryrbeach

My logic tells me that I need to lay the track in my yard next so that I can be certain everything fits as planned.  I have done a rough layout for the town on the south side of the room and I know I will have enough space (barely) to get the passing siding and tail track to fit.  Some compromise in the length of the tail track may be necessary, but this layout already has so many compromises in its track plan one more doesn't bother me.   That said, here is a shot of the end of the yard where it fits against the wall behind the door. 

Tracks are, from right to left in the photo.  Ulster & Delaware main coming through the tunnel.  This runs along the back wall and serves mostly as a visual prop.  The track to its left is the interchange track where the D&N picks up and drops its cars.  The next two stub end tracks are the extent of the D&N's yard tracks.  The front two tracks are the D&N runaround / passing tracks.  The short dead end off the second track from the table edge is the D&N caboose / passenger car track. 

The tunnel portal and retaining walls are where I believe they will end up, the foam is a few chunks just propped in place to give me an idea of how the scenery might come together.  Obviously the mountainside above the tunnel will rise well above the flat piece of foam now above the portal. 

The portal and retaining walls are from Woodland Scenics.  I shortened the height of the tunnel by about a half inch since I felt it was too tall for the scene.  Retaining walls were shortened and the left over pieces will be used as the shorter retaining walls further from the portal.  I laid the plaster castings flat on my shop bench and cut them carefully with a hacksaw.  There was some minor breakage toward the bottom of the cuts, these were in the back of the castings and a few passes over coarse sandpaper cleaned everything up.

None of the track is fastened in place.  I use a mix of old brass as well as new track to lay out what I envision to see how everything fits before anything is fastened in place.  The weights are just to hold everything in place as I add more pieces.   
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Jerry: 

Looks like more progress. Keep the pics coming.

Karl

Jerry

Looks like the cows are taking care of. ;)   And you've spent some time at the RR.

Progress is a wonderful thing looking forward to the next post.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Jim Donovan

Sorry, I have been delinquent in keeping upon the progress going on but I am back on the job. Things are moving along. Keep those photos coming. Looking good!

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

jerryrbeach

Quote from: postalkarl on March 19, 2021, 05:20:13 PM
Hey Jerry: 

Looks like more progress. Keep the pics coming.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks for checking in.  I apologize for not getting back to your comment in a much more timely fashion.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Jerry on March 22, 2021, 09:28:48 AM
Looks like the cows are taking care of. ;)   And you've spent some time at the RR.

Progress is a wonderful thing looking forward to the next post.

Jerry

Jerry,

I apologize that it took this long to actually get back to this thread.  Since I sold the cows a couple months ago I have made a good deal more progress.  Stay tuned for much more regular updates.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Jim Donovan on March 22, 2021, 10:34:21 AM
Sorry, I have been delinquent in keeping upon the progress going on but I am back on the job. Things are moving along. Keep those photos coming. Looking good!

Jim D

Jim,

You're just getting back on the job?  Wow, that makes me a procrastinator to end all procrastinators.  I apologize for not having responded to your comment in a more timely fashion.  i have made significant progress, or so it seems to me in late 2021.  Stay tuned for much more regular updates.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Back in mid-September 2021 I spent a couple rainy days putting down cork and laying track. 

First pic is an overall view.  Second pic is the town I have tenatively named Lumberville.  The village of Arena on the prototype Delaware & Northern was originally called Lumberville.  I have tried to find out when and why it was renamed but have not been successful.  I installed the switches for the sidings but have postponed laying those tracks until I have planned what structures will be located along each spur. 

The third pic is the yard showing it as less than complete. 

Stay tuned as I have several more progress photos that need to be sorted prior to posting.

Jerry

GPdemayo

Nice progress Jerry.....the layout is really shaping up. 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL