Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 11, 2018, 09:06:26 AM

Jim,

I wouldn't have recognized that you started with the J. Keen kit the look of the structure has changed so much.  I especially like the full width steps to the storefront.  I find that typical of the era, and I may have to borrow the idea for one of the buildings on the D&N. 

Thanks Jerry

We both model the same time and the issue is trying to make the building fit the period. When I made this kit I thought about how would the building evolve as the town grew. So in my world it started as Keen's Supplies, was converted to the drug store after 10 years with the owner and his wife living upstairs. As business grew they enclosed the stairs. When kids arrived they put the porch on, then dad needed his own area so the room off the stair case was put on. There will also be a basement with an outside staircase going down the other side.

I am learning from your posts and getting great time period ideas. Thanks.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

Neuber's Drugs is complete and planted. I previously mentioned I was going to try putting the structure on foam board, complete the scene on the board and then plant it. Did not work out that way. With the size of my layout being small (181,000 square HO scale feet, 6 x 4 in real world) it was just as easier to do all the scenery directly on the layout. In addition I tore out what I had done with the supply store and completed basic scenery for both.

First, Neuber Drug's (J. Keen Supply RailroadKits.com). To complete the scene I put laser cut picnic benches in the back both on the porch and under it. Workers from the supply store are having lunch in the shaded area under the porch while the owners wife and kids are on the porch, watching the train activity and making a pumpkin pie. The families maid is also on the porch, working on the laundry. The figures are Preiser and Woodland Scenics HO figures. Some in back I painted using Delta Creamcoat paint found at Hobby Lobby. A member of the local NMRA put me onto this paint. It dries nice and really flat, does not show brush marks and shows all details well. This is becoming my go to paint. If thinned and strained it works well in my Nano Iwata airbrush when needed and with a brush it it the best I have used this past year.

More figures are in the front. New carpet is being delivered to the owners apartment. The owner is watching two friends play checkers. His wife's sisters are coming to see the new store and of course my wife and I are coming up the sidewalk to join the party. The interior is lit and if you look you should see the inside of a drug store. It is a picture scaled down to fit. I used real glass on the building so you could see the interior better.

In the attached photo's you see the start of main street. I am using laser cut road brick made by Monster Modeling. The road is 22 feet wide (a call to Greg DeMayo provided the needed answer, from his wife Pegi also a building expert) . I used Monster Modeling 1/8 inch thick quarry stone cut brick for the sidewalks in front of the drug store side of the road. The height difference with the road brick produced a nice realistic curb height. Further, using Monster Modeling corner strips I was able to make a realistic curb and change in direction for the sidewalk.

I also put the quarry brick next to the supply store as a loading area. However it does not go all the way to the road. Instead groomed dirt is left in place.

For ground scenery I went back to using techniques I have used before. I put down Sculptamold around the areas of the two buildings. Then with the buildings wrapped in wax paper I placed them in the Sculptmold while it was still wet and pushed down slightly. This made a foundation for the buildings to sit in. When it dried I painted it with burnt sienna paint. Put dirt down, then static grass where I wanted it such as against the railroad tracks and supply store. Various colored ground cover, underbrush, small trees and large tree completed the scene.

It was fun.

Janbouli

What a great scene Jim , which set from Preiser are these figures from, especially the ladies with the hats ?
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dave K.

It's been incredible watching what you've accomplished in a relatively short period of time...excellent!

GPdemayo

Great scene Jim.....love the details.....well done.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jimmillho

Great story to go with the Scene Jim.  Love the small details that you added.

Jim

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Janbouli on October 27, 2018, 07:44:14 PM
What a great scene Jim , which set from Preiser are these figures from, especially the ladies with the hats ?

Thanks Jan

The little Preiser People I have picked up at estate sales for most part. The boxes on some were gone. I know I used a couple from number 12137 and 12138. I think I used one from 12131. Hard to find people from this period. Presier are great but expensive and often times the European style comes through, such as police officers with swords. Recently on e-bay I got a very old box of number 326. Writing is almost all in German and says 'Made in Federal Republic of Germany'.  I think I can modify many of the characters to be period correct. It is going to be a winter project. The neat one was the carpet layer. Found it last year when starting layout. My wife's father was a carpet layer so I was able to spin him into the story that goes with the scene.

Jim Donovan

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 27, 2018, 08:28:30 PM
Great scene Jim.

Thanks Curt. I am feeling more comfortable with building structures and surrounding scenes. Still not a clue on engines and rolling stock.

Jim D

ACL1504

Jim,

The layout is looking better and better with each addition. Great to see you building kits and putting your own spin on the models.

Well done I'm looking forward to the next update.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Dave K. on October 28, 2018, 07:56:56 AM
It's been incredible watching what you've accomplished in a relatively short period of time...excellent!

Thanks Dave

The internet and forums like this sure have made learning and research easier then ever. Without it I Imagine my layout would be much more plain, and my interest level much less. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else at the Expo.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: GPdemayo on October 28, 2018, 09:24:10 AM
Great scene Jim.....love the details.....well done.  8)

Thanks Greg

I put in a call to you to make sure I got the street and sidewalks width correct. I got to talk to your wife and got the answers.

Glad you like like the scene and thanks for the help.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: jimmillho on October 28, 2018, 11:18:29 AM
Great story to go with the Scene Jim.  Love the small details that you added.

Jim

One Jim to another Thanks!

The story that goes with the scene is actually about family and friends if we were in 1910. The owner is a brother-in-law and his family. The names have been omitted to protect the innocent since a lot of inside jokes are of course part of the story. I write it up and send to all involved. It is part of the fun.

Jim Donovan

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 28, 2018, 11:50:11 AM
Jim,

The layout is looking better and better with each addition. Great to see you building kits and putting your own spin on the models.

Well done I'm looking forward to the next update.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom
When Deb and I visited you and Greg at your layout during the spring I took in a lot. Since then I have been reading a bunch of folks build threads, yours included. I learn every time. On the drug store I got the lessons of replacing laser cut wood that has grain going wrong way with correct scale basswood from your conversation with Mark. I also went back and put bolts in the support beams for the porch from your KC kitbash thread. Keep those build thread coming and Thanks!

Jim D

Jim Donovan

It is time to cover up Holland Odessa R.R. until next year. This week I go to the Expo and next we winterize the Ohio home and head to Florida.

I can no longer say I am a beginner, it has been a year since I started. I am by no means accomplished but sure am enjoying the hobby for the reasons listed below.

At the start I thought I would be running trains in circles and making plastic models. I have run the train perhaps four times. I built exactly one plastic model and it is not on the layout. Instead I can say it has been a lot more fun then expected.

Without a doubt the internet enables rapid learning by dramatically reducing the time needed to find information. In addition, forums like this and YouTube present building methods and help beginners from making mistakes. Both also opened up my eyes to the breath and richness of the hobby.

This forum has had the largest impact on my modeling. When I joined, the guys in Florida (Tom Langford and friends) immediately reached out and said to come visit. My wife and I did and they have provided a lot of help ever since.

The NMRA also helps. I enjoy the local group, Black Swamp Division in Ohio. They reached out and asked me to join and made me welcome.  It is nice to get together and swap ideas and visit others layouts. Some of them are amazing.

I am enjoying the ride. In addition to posting the structures built, improving what I have completed continues. So I am attaching pictures of the Holland Odessa 2018 version. Hope you enjoy.