Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

I like the canal scene, too!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

I agree with Dave, that canal looks amazing.

Jim Donovan

Quote from: GPdemayo on February 01, 2021, 08:25:52 AM
Looking good Jim..... 8)

Thanks Greg;

Hopefully I will have some more progress soon.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 01, 2021, 08:50:13 AM
Beautiful scenes Jim.
Thanks Curt;

Buildings blended into the scene is what I really enjoy. With the layout so small I can take my time and just enjoy.

Jim

Jim Donovan

Quote from: cuse on February 07, 2021, 08:46:33 AM
Very nice Jim. Welcome to full-time FL.

John

Thanks John;
Yep we are back in Florida year round. I am truly enjoying retirement but am definitely starting to slow down. Time to just enjoy one house.

Jim

Jim Donovan

Quote from: deemery on February 07, 2021, 08:59:28 AM
I like the canal scene, too!

dave

Thanks Dave and Craig;

It is hard to believe but the canal scene was almost the first project I did in HO scale modeling, nearly three years ago. Still love it and have ideas on how to add to it. In addition the other section of the layout which I have not even started to develop will be showing Central Florida 1910. I plan to  include a scene of Silver Springs when it had a hotel, double track sidings and paddle boats bringing people up the Silver River (from off the St John's River). Here is what it looked like in black and white and the last is what it looks like today.

Jim Donovan

At this point I will be finishing up the Hotel scene, begin working on the Silver River Scene and having fun attempting to scratch build Olsen Chemical Company (Skeeters Fly Dope). Greg D gave me the directions for this wonderful kit a couple of years ago, not necessarily to build it but because it is packed with great modeling tips and offers some of the best directions I have ever seen. I attempted to get in touch with the person who designed this kit but so far have come up empty. I will be using the Cricut Maker to help make the walls and detail parts. Not sure if I can do it but it sure would look awesome. There is little in the way of information I have found concerning it other then the directions, but I did find a site that in the past sold a finished version and had lots of photos. So here is a finished picture and a couple of pictures of the little part I have made so far. I won't be doing a thread on this building, heck I don't even know if I can finish it, but I will post any significant updates:

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Karl

GPdemayo

You know I'll be watching for this one Jim..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

I like that little add-on, including the foundation.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

I'll go along with Dave on the little add on.

Karl

Jim Donovan

Thanks Guys;

I will keep you updated as I work on this super neat complex. In the meantime, a couple of years ago a modeling friend, George Phoebe gave me a Campbell kit, the Band Stand. It had been opened and was missing some parts but there was enough left to make the basis of a version of the band stand. I love the sugar pine these kits have, even though it is much harder to smooth and remove the fuzz then Basswood. This little kit has a million small parts. With only 2/3 of the needed wood I decided to make portions of it using the Silhouette Cameo Cutter I have. I ended up making the foundation lattice, copula lattice, railings and the roof sections using the cutter. The cornice around the roof line was also cut out using the cutter but the perpendicular cornice are the original plastic parts. Finally the shingles are from BEST. So here is how it turned out:

I only had the one page of the directions to go by and a cardstock template for the roof. I ended up just trying to follow the diagram best I could. I left the 2 x 4 sugar pine stripwood in its natural state and covered the floor with it as well as using it for the top rail on the cutter cut fence railing. I airbrushed the lattice and roof first in gray primer then in cottage white. The gray shows here and there giving some depth to the lattice and roof. The last picture shows where I am thinking of having it but it will sit for a while until I am sure.

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Perfect for the hotel scene Jim.....good job.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln