Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Holland Odessa R.R.  (Read 21877 times)

ACL1504

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
  • Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Holland Odessa R.R.
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2021, 08:39:06 AM »
Jim,

Great job on the Band Stand/Gazebo. I also like the add on sub structure, excellent addition.

Tom  ;D
If you hate plan A, you are certainly not going to like plan B!

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2021, 12:27:06 PM »
Band stand looks really good, Jim.

Cheers, Mark.

Jim Donovan

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2021, 09:38:06 PM »
Thanks guys. The little bandstand was fun.

So now I am giving serious attention to building Sketter's Fly Dope from pictures and plans. To help with the part cutting I am using the print/ cutters. I have the Cameo 3 by Silhouette and for Christmas I was given a Cricut Maker. I thought the CriCut would become my only cutter but I have found the Cameo 3 does fine details better and operationally I have more control over the print/ cut parameters. It is able to cut much closer lines so it was what I used to make the lattice fences for the bandstand. The Cricut can cut basswood up to 1/16 inch thick, however it is limited in the cut lines need to be at least 1/16 of an inch away from each other or it will not cut correctly. Still, it sure makes clean, precise cuts when set up correctly. The other main advantage instead of cutting by hand is if a part is not exactly the size or shape needed simple adjustments using the design program can be done and a corrected part made much quicker and more precise.

So here shows a mock-up of the main building. A second building will be on the other side of the track and a walkway over the siding will connect the two.

Here are the cutter results of all parts needed to build the walls of the main building.

This kit was designed to use all Tichy Windows. I might change out a couple doors with something hand made but the windows look good on this building so plan to stick with them. So that is all for now.
Holland & Odessa R.R.

Rusty Robot

• View Profile
    • Rusty Robot - Blog
« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2021, 11:13:47 PM »
Impressed with what the CriCut can achieve with basswood. It sure beats a laser when it comes to fiddling and ventilation etc...

Great work, Jim!
Craig
rr@keepitrusty.com
The Blog

Jim Donovan

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2021, 10:40:20 PM »
Thanks Graig;

Can’t do all a laser cutter can do but does make projects possible I would not attempt if just by hand. Here is today’s update:

Jim
Holland & Odessa R.R.

postalkarl

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2021, 03:05:58 AM »
Hey Jim:

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal