Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Jim,

Great job on the Band Stand/Gazebo. I also like the add on sub structure, excellent addition.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Band stand looks really good, Jim.

Cheers, Mark.

Jim Donovan

Thanks guys. The little bandstand was fun.

So now I am giving serious attention to building Sketter's Fly Dope from pictures and plans. To help with the part cutting I am using the print/ cutters. I have the Cameo 3 by Silhouette and for Christmas I was given a Cricut Maker. I thought the CriCut would become my only cutter but I have found the Cameo 3 does fine details better and operationally I have more control over the print/ cut parameters. It is able to cut much closer lines so it was what I used to make the lattice fences for the bandstand. The Cricut can cut basswood up to 1/16 inch thick, however it is limited in the cut lines need to be at least 1/16 of an inch away from each other or it will not cut correctly. Still, it sure makes clean, precise cuts when set up correctly. The other main advantage instead of cutting by hand is if a part is not exactly the size or shape needed simple adjustments using the design program can be done and a corrected part made much quicker and more precise.

So here shows a mock-up of the main building. A second building will be on the other side of the track and a walkway over the siding will connect the two.

Here are the cutter results of all parts needed to build the walls of the main building.

This kit was designed to use all Tichy Windows. I might change out a couple doors with something hand made but the windows look good on this building so plan to stick with them. So that is all for now.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Impressed with what the CriCut can achieve with basswood. It sure beats a laser when it comes to fiddling and ventilation etc...

Great work, Jim!

Jim Donovan

Thanks Graig;

Can't do all a laser cutter can do but does make projects possible I would not attempt if just by hand. Here is today's update:

Jim

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Jim Donovan

I have made significant progress on Skeeters. Based on what I have been able to complete so far I am fairly confident I will be able to finish a version of this complex.

The roof consists of six sections that make up the lower, middle and upper roofs. Instead of wood I opted to use .3 mm white styrene for the substrate. To this I glued 2 x 6 eve trim I place using Walters goo. It is messy to work with but holds wood to plastic much better then PVA. The wood was stained using Hunter Barn Red.

Next I used the Cameo 3 to cut out from .2 mm styrene the window frames for the upper vented windows. I glued the styrene to 1/16 inch thick mat board that had also been cut to shape by the Cricut Maker. The window frames were glued to the upper wall sections and base that had previously been printed from 1/16 clapboard using the Cricut Maker.

Jim Donovan

I designed asbestos roofing using an old John's Mansville roofing catalog from 1920. It can be found on the archives located at The Architect website. The single strip cut roof were made using 67 pound Vellium paper. I first printed in color the look of the shingles (initially Newport Gray) then using the registration feature of the Cameo 3 cut the roofing into strips. By accident I spilled some of the Barn Red wash on some shingles. I liked the look so lightly brushed the stain wash on for all the roof. Indian Red was a true color used by John's Mansville back then and the light stain pretty closely matched it.

For the roof cap I followed the John's Mansville catalog. Using a bamboo 3/32 stick I attached individual tiles so that they were 2 feet long and overlapped the previous tile. This was done on both the lower and upper roofs. The ends of the roof cap had Wood trim resembling a ridge brace glued to make a finished look. I forgot to get a photo at this point but the right side of following photo shows the ridge cap for the lower roof.

Jim Donovan

I decided that a factory like this would most likely have had the upper Windows able to open. Therefore I decided to make my own 'tilt' windows for the two rows rather then Tichy windows. The windows were cut from .15 mm styrene that had start life as a 'Do Not Enter' plastic sign. I like using these signs for plastic parts that will be painted. They cost much less the 'modeling' styrene and work well. Three parts were needed for each, the outer window frame, the lattice for the individual panes and finally clear .10 mm styrene for the glass. Since I plan to use a Matt varnish on the windows to 'fog' them I did not use real glass.

The window pane frames proved to be very tricky to cut out due to the number of panes per window and the small size. To get clean frames the cutter had to cut an X shape in each pane. Then, using fine tip tweezers the X sections could be snapped off the Muntins without damaging the frame. To connect the parts I used Tamya Exta Thin plastic cement. Once the parts were placed correctly the fine brush tip of cement was placed next to the frame. Wicking action pulled the cement across the connections and welded the parts together.

I am in the process of placing the tilt windows in place. I have glued the upper and lower roofs in place but have not glued the middle roof until all is done. This makes it easier to work on the windows and place them correctly. By using the Cameo I was able to cut with tolerances tight enough to make windows that have a recessed lip allowing for flush mounting or tilt open look.

So here is we're we are at present. You will note I have change some colors, the elevator tower is now airbrushed Vallejo gray as is the enclosed staircase, the original colors I picked just did not fit. The main building was re-painted Vallejo Ivory from Cottage White for same reason. Windows remain Vallejo flat red. I have put window frames and door in place for photo but only upper tilt windows are glued. The others still need glass installed but I wanted to get an idea how it will look.

That is it for now.

Dennis Bourey

Wow Jim, That came out Gorgeous. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

Looks like you're off to A good start on this one. I'm following along.

Karl S

GPdemayo

Skeeter's is looking good Jim..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Jim,

Great progress all the way. I've been lurking for some time. Nice job on the to layout marriage.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

Jim,
Remember that Skeeter's kit when it came out...Dave Frary had a pile of them at a show in the Midwest we attended many years ago...
...it was a neat looking structure...good luck on your scratch built version...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Rail and Tie

munching on popcorn, waiting for the next scene!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com