Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

The Holland Odessa Short Line Rail Road started ten months ago. My wife and I retired after I sold the family business of thirty-three years in 2012. Until ten months ago we traveled, played with the kids and grandkids, golfed and enjoyed Holland Ohio in the summer, Odessa Florida the rest of the time. Then my bride was diagnosed with stage one breast cancer. So we stayed in Ohio as the boss (wife) and doctors got rid of the uninvited guest. I am glad to report we are about done with the eviction. One more surgery and we can again travel back and forth on our terms. Given what she went through doctors say 99% cure rate.

As we were stuck in Ohio through winter (I grew up in Upstate NY so I knew what is coming) I decided to indulge a thought I had for some time, my own hobby, specifically model railroading. We had a small loft with an open area near my desk. I decided to learn the hobby and put a HO scale layout in that area.

I found this Forum when I bought a small kit from Railroad Kits as much for the 'how to' DVD that came with it as the building itself. Written boldly on the box was; "Check out modelerforum.com". I had found the mother load of knowledge.  Since then I watch, read and learn. In the couple of months since finding this site my ability to model (and enjoy) this hobby dramatically improved. This forum has nothing but experts and now me, the complete beginner. I've posted twice once asking about a Jorden model, the second  just to say thank you and show off the scratch built canal boat I had finished. The first time I was given a great welcome and the knowledge I needed. The second again I was welcomed and this time asked for more pictures.

Frankly I had to think about it. What could I possibly share? You folks really are light years ahead of most, even the pros (actually you are the pros). Then I realized what I could share; a fresh look. I don't have the forty years of knowledge or even one good original idea on modeling. But the hobby has changed in many ways, the internet being the root of most change.  What I am hoping to gain is even more knowledge from you talented people.

So welcome to the Holland Odessa Railroad, a fictional short line set in two vastly different parts of the country, NW Ohio (Holland just west of Toledo) and west central Florida (Odessa, just NW of Tampa). It is September of 1908. The left half of the layout will be Ohio while the right will transform into Florida. At the moment all work is essentially happening on the Ohio side of the layout.

I'll stop here for now, some pictures, two showing reality, the others my little world. Future posts will be less talk more action, promise.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Rollin

Love the canal boat. Next time you're in the Buckeye State, there is a reproduction boat that gives rides on the canal at Canal Fulton, near Akron.

Here's a link

http://www.discovercanalfulton.com/heritage_society/st_helena_iii.html

Dave K.

It's a privilege having you, Jim...welcome! Sweet little layout. More importantly, congratulations on handing the Big 'C' its walking papers. Looking forward to your future participation in our warped little community, here.

Janbouli

Love how you did the lighting Jim, and I know that there are quite a few here envious of your little people on the layout, you have talent , so just keep posting those pictures , cause we love pictures.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Zephyrus52246

Nice looking layout.  I think you're well beyond the "beginner" stage.   :)

Jeff

jerryrbeach

Jim,

Thanks for posting the photos of your layout.  You are exactly right, we get to see your unique approach to the hobby. 
The hinged control panel is great for anyone with limited space.
While waterfront modeling has become very popular, I do not recall anyone modeling a canal and canal boat on their layout.  I really like the water in the canal, it came out great and the canal boat is beautiful. 
Please give us some more information on the structure with the tall derrick.  I am assuming it is an early oil well, am I right?
Jerry

GPdemayo

Great start Jim.....looking forward to seeing the progress on the rest of your layout.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jim Donovan

I want to thank everyone for the comments and feedback. Up till now feedback has consisted of my wife (she likes it I think because I'm out of her hair (well wig at the moment) and our grandkids who ask, when is it going to be done?

Lighting:
I decided on a small layout (6 x 4) early on due to available space. One of the YouTube people I follow is MarklinofSweden. He published a great short video explaining lighting a layout, specifically LED lighting. I never understood why the LED lights are too blue or too yellow, too bright, not bright enough and so on. He covers it all quickly:

From this video I knew what to look for and found it on Amazon. Brighttech Sparq Arc LED Floor Lamp. It provides 3000 Kelvin color (3,500 would have been perfect but 3000 works) and 2000 lumens. The layout is on castors so I can move it from the wall and work on all sides. The lamps cover the entire layout, easy to move and cost $73.00 each.

Oil Derrick:
It is the Campbell Scale Model #354. I put it next to the canal because they often were found near it in those days. Oil and gas were the top industries in the state. starting in 1880 and going until about 1920.

Layout Design:
The table was designed following a Model Railroad free video about 'your first layout' video. I upgraded to poplar wood for looks. The directions call for a 1 inch sheet of foam insulation. However, I wanted a canal.  As I was using Atlas solenoid turnouts the thickness of the foam did not matter. I went with two sections of 1 inch foam, glued to each other and the table with liquid nails. This gave me about 16 HO scale feet and the canal was possible. The control panel was hinged so I can have it down while working on the layout.

Well enough for now. I do have a few more cool pictures. One is  an oil rig in Lake Mary, another is a picture of a real canal boat I looked at when making my version. The others are layout pictures.  :

Lynnb

Lots of very nice details, love the waterway. I have been following MarklinofSweden for a very long time, sometimes I watch his youtube channel just to get a chuckle.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

ACL1504

Jim,

Not sure how I missed this thread but I'm looking in now.

Very well done Jim. The canal boat is really neat and for a small layout it sure says "BIG" to me. I appreciate you sharing it with us.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Great layout and photographs thank you for sharing them.  As for the big C - my wife went through it - stage 2 - chemo and radiation - cancer free for 11 years now. Tell your boss from my boss hang-in-there. You both will be in our thoughts and prayers.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jim Donovan

Thanks for the feedback and compliments folks  :).  And John you put a smile on my Bosses face! It has been a long road but she has been a fighter, suspect yours is too. We had good news today, looks like we will get to head back to FL in a little over a week. I better wrap up work on the Holland Odessa R.R. For the season!

However, I really love learning the history of the two areas we live and learning how to model a miniature rendition. Word has it the Railroad is planning to expand to the Florida house too!

S&S RR

Quote from: Jim on April 02, 2018, 09:57:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback and compliments folks  :) .  And John you put a smile on my Bosses face! It has been a long road but she has been a fighter, suspect yours is too. We had good news today, looks like we will get to head back to FL in a little over a week. I better wrap up work on the Holland Odessa R.R. For the season!

However, I really love learning the history of the two areas we live and learning how to model a miniature rendition. Word has it the Railroad is planning to expand to the Florida house too!

:)  Welcome to the forum Jim. We will be looking forward to your posts on future railroad expansions and good reports from the boss.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

Very nice canal and boat. Very well done.

Karl

Jim Donovan

I will post how the canal was built soon but wanted to let everyone know I passed along your compliments to the boys who made the canal. Mostly hard working, equally hard drinking, Immigrant Irish. They don't follow orders well but they do have fun. I found them down by the canal today. When I passed along the compliments they laughed and said 'Donovan' (that's me), next round is on you. So much for passing along a compliment.