Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

James; thanks for the ideas for the trees. We have a local apple grove near the house which is the inspiration for having apple trees on the layout. I've made a some but still want to be able to see the branch structure, the clump foliage I used tended to cover it up so working with fine foliage material. The  local trees do look like something out of the movie Wizard of OZ. I did a thread on the apple trees done so far:

http://modelersforum.com/scenery-vegeatation-trees/what-do-make-on-a-cold-rainy-night!/

If you have pictures using the Woodland Sencs armature I'd love to se how they came out.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

To complete this section of the layout, I call the Canal Area, I wanted a retention pond formed between the tracks and fed by the ditch found next to the siding. Attached are pictures of this area as it was formed. The second two show that I truly screwed up the water pour.

Jim Donovan

Now I had to use scenery to cover the lousy pour as well as make the area realistic looking. The bubbling of the resin had been caused by not properly sealing the pond floor and walls. Lesson learned.

I like using static grass, it looks very realistic. Took a while to learn how to apply it with the static grass applicator (shocks and all) but results look good.

Jim Donovan

I went to the local Hobby Lobby and picked up assorted flower foliage, for a cost of less then $40.00. I now have enough 'plants' for a lifetime.  I found a garland having very small new growth leaves on its ends to make the lily pads. Also there was a flower that worked as a lily flower. By cutting what I needed from the foliage I made the water plants.

Jim Donovan

I cut bristles from an old polyester paint brush so they were 6-8 foot in HO Scale. Some I placed in a cup and washed them with Hunterline Cordovan Brown Wash, others were left in their natural light brown color. Once dry they were ready for 'planting'.  This way I would have bullrushes or cattails in various states of aging.

ACL1504

Jim,

Nice job on the retention area between the tracks.

I had the same problem with the WS Deep Pour Water Resin. I had a small area that I didn't cover properly and ended up with a mess.

Tom ;D

This is a classic case of the principle of the 5 P's. Proper Planning Presents Pi-- Poor Performance.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jim Donovan

Making sure the 'damaged' areas of the water were covered I placed the cattails, and plants made with the Hobby Lobby foliage using Mod-Podge Matte glue. Then I brushed the Mod-Podge around the parameter  of the pond and sprinkled Scenic Express Super Leaves. The leaves were medium green, olive green and a sprinkling of yellow. I also included small purple stems taken from the flower foliage. This was to simulate the flowering weeds normally found right on the edge of a pond and helped cover up any 'water creep' from the Deep Pour Water.

Finally, I used Woodland Scenics water ripples to simulate swirling wind over the pond. Once dry I added some Fine Leaf Foliage by Woodland scenics as bushes around the pond. Here is the finished results.

Jim Donovan

Thanks Tom;

I included some of the ideas you posted on your pond scene for mine. Especially covering the deep pour water creep up the walls. I decided to practice on the retention pond as I want to include some plants on the canal as well and did not want to screw that up.

Jim :D

jbvb

With Enviro-Tex, you can breathe on it (or use a little torch to make CO2 like in your breath) to make bubbles rise to the surface, pop and flatten out.  Does that work with Deep-Pour?
James

Janbouli

Nicely done Jim , great cover up, it all looks good in the end.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Jim Donovan

Quote from: jbvb on July 01, 2018, 03:29:27 AM
With Enviro-Tex, you can breathe on it (or use a little torch to make CO2 like in your breath) to make bubbles rise to the surface, pop and flatten out.  Does that work with Deep-Pour?

The Woodlands product is suppose to be poured and not disturbed, any bubbles are suppose to float to surface and pop on their own. It worked as advertised the first time but I was very careful to follow all directions. This time I added some ground cover on pond bottom before pouring and used different sealing paint. I knew I was in trouble two hours after applying when I checked on it and saw bubbles coming to the surface like it was carbonated. The big advantage is you can pour up to 1/4 inch at one time. I will research more before I use it again.

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Janbouli on July 01, 2018, 04:43:17 AM
Nicely done Jim , great cover up, it all looks good in the end.

Thanks Jan. I like how it turned out but frankly while it was a learning experience I know the dog learned a few new words when I first saw the screw up. I like looking at your layout and have learned from your thread.

A lifetime ago (1972), I spent the better part of the summer at The Hague as an exchange student representing the US at the model UN. Could speak French back then. Fantastic country and great times.