The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: jbvb on September 05, 2018, 10:35:47 PM
Following along too.

James,

Very happy to have you aboard, thank you for following along.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

If time permits, I'll have an update later this evening. 8)   If not, I'll post it tomorrow.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I plan to have a few roads in Tahope, one of which will be down the center of town. The Judge and I think some good ole street running is in order for the Crackers in Tahope.

I cut a piece of 1 ply cardboard and placed it in different locations. It is 22 HO scale feet wide.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After adding two additional siding, I decided to leave the road in the first location.

I wanted an area where one passenger coach could be spotted at the end of the small FSM station. Here I have an Athean round top coach on the siding. This car has no interior or passengers.

I replaced the Athearn with a Walthers 86 ft. coach. This coach has passengers and interior lighting. However, it is to long for the siding.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I previously marked the location of the road as shown below.

Easy peasy fix was to move and remark the road an inch to the left.

The new road sides are marked in blue. Problem solved.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I cut the first section of the road and placed it next to the outside rail. It has a slight bump in the middle.

Diet Pepsi time, back in a few more.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

My luck was that the road was over a soldered rail joiner.

I used a Dremel cutoff disc and removed the top portion of the rail joiner. The rails were still soldered to the bottom of the rail joiner.

Now the road fits snug against the rail.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The rest of the road was just a matter of cutting and fitting across the tracks.

Nothing is glued in place. I haven't decided yet whether to leave is as a concrete road or an asphalt roadway with wood crossing planks on the tracks.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Street running will start here. The length is just under 4' 9".

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looks good, Tom.

Volume three is kicking along nicely!

Cheers, Mark.

Jim Donovan

Tom thanks for the great instructions on designing and testing the road. Timing could not have been better. I am just researching how to put a road in my little layout. You are doing the heavy lifting for me.

I will be interested in how you put the road down with tracks running parallel to the town buildings. The second siding on my layout is planned to have that happen. Being 1910 or so my roads will be brick.

Looking good

Thanks
Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

deemery

SHouldn't the road have a center crown, to let the rain drain to the sides?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

BandOGuy

Tom,
Thanks as always for your elegant, patient description of how things should be done correctly.
Selfish question: would you change this process if you were building what the B&O called "center running", locales where the railroad ran down the center of the street (not in an island arrangement)? Planning to do the first area of a layout showing urban running with the tracks in the street.
Not trying to hijack your thread.
Thanks for any comment/suggestions.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.