The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I wanted to secure the diesel facility with pits from the top. I drilled three small pilot holes in the plywood and into the base of the facility. I then used a larger drill bit to open the hole to counter sink the screws.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once the six screws were in place, the level was unclamped.

I then used rattle can Krylon Matte River Rock to seal the plaster.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I forgot to mention I shimmed the base under the platform and against the underside of the plywood. I did this so when the cork and ME code 83 track was added, the track would be level with the plaster cast of the facility.

You can see now the reason the screws were counter sunk. I wanted the cork to be absolutely flat on the plywood so the track to the diesel facility would fit flush with the base. This all means a smooth track/running later.

The section of plywood was then carried back into the building and screwed back in place.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Now, if I'm lucky and pay attention to the instructions and add a few of my own details, my diesel facility will look as wonderful as the one James Mull did.

His build is shown below. These photos were taken from the Diamond Scale site with permission.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Wow!  That's quite a complex.  It's a good thing it's going to be featured on the Summit level.  That will significantly reduce the chances of somebody accidentally damaging it while trying to reach over it.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Good looking diesel facility.....you've been busy Tom.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

Looks like an interesting complex.  Should be a fun build.

Cheers, Mark.

Lynnb

Tom each time I return to admire your work I am simply amazed, not just at the fine work but the amount of work you get completed.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Looks great, I will be following along on your build.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jerryrbeach

Tom,

FWIW, and you're probably already way ahead of me... ;D    Modeling your time frame, I would expect those bright yellow handrails to be gray or a similar drab color.  Ditto waste barrels, etc.  Flammable rag safety cans would likely be red, and most safety notices from that time period I have seen were either white on green or the reverse.  Step edges and stair treads would likely be gray also.  I started working in a large facility in 1969 and they were just starting to go with (safety) yellow handrails (top rail only) and step edges then. 

Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

beautiful job on the diesel facility.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 24, 2021, 07:25:08 AM
Wow!  That's quite a complex.  It's a good thing it's going to be featured on the Summit level.  That will significantly reduce the chances of somebody accidentally damaging it while trying to reach over it.   ;)

Bob,

Yes, once built I'd hate to have to make any repairs. This probably won't get started until later this year, like December 30, 2021 or even later.  8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on February 24, 2021, 08:34:58 AM
Good looking diesel facility.....you've been busy Tom.  8)

Greg,

Thank you and yes, I have.  8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com