The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Tom, I know it's not Florida. But when I was in Georgia they scared the heck out of me at the Okefenokee Swamps.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Jerry

Tom love the "GATOR"!!

In real life wouldn't it be likely one side could be lower than the other?  Even if it bothers you! :)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Hey Tom.....looks like Albert has a better home than on the old layout, he's near a food source that ought to keep him fat and happy.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 24, 2021, 09:24:42 PM
Tom, I know it's not Florida. But when I was in Georgia they scared the heck out of me at the Okefenokee Swamps.

Dennis,

Yep, the Oke swamp is a great place for gators. We have them here in local lakes as they travel from lake to lake using the drainage pipes between the lakes. Gators usually won't bother humans unless they (humans) are in the water between the mother and her nest. Mating season is also a great time for staying out of the water. As the waters warms in April, they get fired up and the actually mating is from late April to late June.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on March 25, 2021, 08:34:24 AM
Tom love the "GATOR"!!

In real life wouldn't it be likely one side could be lower than the other?  Even if it bothers you! :)

Jerry

Jerry,

It really doesn't bother me as it isn't that noticeable. I just made it a point of interest. When the waves/ripples are added it will be less noticeable.

In real life, since water seeks its own level, it wouldn't be possible for one side to be higher/lower than the other.

When building the first section of my train shed, then the kids playhouse, I used a clear hose, filled it half full of water and plugger each end. I used this home made level to set the first row of cinder blocks. I unplugged one end, added more water until it was level with the opposite side and bingo. The first rows of cinder blocks were level.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 25, 2021, 09:01:14 AM
Hey Tom.....looks like Albert has a better home than on the old layout, he's near a food source that ought to keep him fat and happy.  ;)

Greg,

There is a reason Albert is as big as he is.

When a student at UF, we would go down to the reserve and feed the Gators marsh mellows. As a young stupid kid, we didn't realize just how dangerous that was.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 25, 2021, 02:28:23 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on March 25, 2021, 09:01:14 AM

Greg,

There is a reason Albert is as big as he is.

When a student at UF, we would go down to the reserve and feed the Gators marsh mellows. As a young stupid kid, we didn't realize just how dangerous that was.

Tom  ;D

Amazing we all got out of those years in one piece.  :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Ain't it the truth. I still can't believe some of the stuff I did and lived to tell the tale.   :-X  Just saying is all.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

For this week's Throw Back Thursday, I thought I'd share some of the old photos as the Ovalix was being built.

All these photos were taken over a period of late 2014 to mid 2015.

Framing first -

Throw on some decking -

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Let the fun begin.

Here the base level is started.

Of course the Judge had to check to see if the radius was 36", it was.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

And up we go!

Each level of the Ovalix is 26 feet in length and raises 3.5 per loop for a smooth 1% grade.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Approaching the second level.

Second level -

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Up towards the third level, or the Summit on the A&S RR.

At this point the work on the Ovalix stopped to finish the first level, the Bottoms, staging areas.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

From the floor up to the 7th. loop. There are 10 loops in all.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to