illinois Central Chicago District - Monee Rebuild

Started by vinceg, September 10, 2018, 10:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Stucco looks great Vince!  It looks like you're having a lot of fun with that FSM kit.  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

vinceg

Here's a shot of the products.

They were not so easy for me to find locally (I tried to give business to local stores whenever I can). FWIW, I found the Krylon texture paint at Michael's and the chalk paint at Home Depot.

The Cocoon chalk paint is now my goto paint for aged concrete.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

vinceg

And, finally, here's a pic of two walls, one with inkahol, one without. I used a very light wash and decided I wanted a slightly heavier effect. So, after these pics were taken, I added a second coat.

In case you're wondering why I didn't assemble the building first and then do the stucco, it's because this building still has the traditional corner pieces that you have with clapboard walls. When I have other buildings that are all stucco (maybe like the Queen City Coal main office building) I will build the shell first and then apply the texture.

Right now, the walls have the windows installed with the "glue glazing" drying. Once that is complete I'll post an update.
Vince

vinceg

Thanks, Bob. Yes -- FSM builds are fun and somewhat nostalgic for me. The J Barongould Tannery was my first ever wood kit (some 30-ish years ago?) and got me started on the whole crafstman kit addiction.
Vince

ACL1504

Vince,

Great to see you back. Happy New Year.

The stucco looks fantastic and thanks for mentioning the Krylon Stone Fine Paint. I'll definitely be getting that product. Dexter's is a FSM kit I have a spot for on the layout so this is a thread I'll bookmark.

The masonite is the way to go, it curves to a very sharp radius.

Oh, Dexter's is wonderful and you've done a fantastic build, it looks just great.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, Vince.

That stucco is very nice and to scale.  We have Krylon brand here in New Zealand so should hopefully be able to track that down.  Don't know about Artminds - NEVER seen that brand before.  Not too worried though, as concrete is a different colour the world over, as it is generally sourced locally - ours has a lot less yellow in it.

Cheers, Mark.

Keep It Rusty

I second that Stone Effect rattle can! I switched to Rust-O-Leum though as I felt the Krylon stuff was a little thin/watery

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Vince,

Last night I was watching an NMRA virtual clinic on YouTube.  Jack Ellis of Bar Mills was discussing layout backdrops and in answer to a question about using Masonite offered some information I believe might apply to your backdrop problems.  If you skip to 36:50 he talks about types of Masonite and filling and sanding joints.   I'd suggest watching the entire video, lots of tips on painting backdrops, clouds, blending scenery to the backdrop, etc.  There's also some thoughts on using shallow relief buildings, etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGch25v4KNg&t=2309s
Jerry

vinceg

Well, it has certainly been a while. I have slowly been plodding along on this kit but have spent a lot of time working and just didn't have the energy to post updates to this thread. Hoping to do a little better now.

Here is the state of the Dexter's Dead End diorama. I have started adding some of the details but have a bit more work to do. Rather than post a lot of pictures now and then bore you with repostings of things that have only minor differences, I'll do a few now and then post more close-ups as I finish more work. This has actually been a challenging kit for me - I have a lot of comments to add but will save that for when I post more detailed shots.

First, here's an overall view from the front:

Here's a somewhat closer look at some detail relating to Jacob Tire:

And finally here is the current state of the other two buildings:

Sorry to be so brief. I'll add a lot more pictures and more thoughts in the next few days as I hope to wrap this up and begin working on placing a number of dioramas on the layout.

Talk to you soon.

Vince

ACL1504

Vince,

Fantastic job on the build. It look great and the weathering matches the old look of the building.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Keep It Rusty

Excellent work, Vince! Especially on that Painter's store.

tom.boyd.125

Vince,
Good to see you have been busy at the work bench this year.
The FSM build looks great. Nice coloring and weathering.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

cuse

That's fantastic work Vince...it really holds up to the closeup photography. Great colors, textures, weathering, ground cover...All good!

John