illinois Central Chicago District - Monee Rebuild

Started by vinceg, September 10, 2018, 10:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

I have a few updates to post. First, I finished the corner shingles for the main roof. Here are a couple of pics:

This was pretty tedious but I love the look. I now have an even higher regard for real craftsmen that can do this and actually get them straight.

Gotta run to a pizza lunch with a modeling buddy of mine. I'll post some updates after that.

Cheers,
Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

vinceg

Here's the peak of the main roof. I looked around on the Internet for a while and it looks like this thing is called, depending on where I found it, a ridge crest or ornamental ridge cresting or something like that. I decided to make it "copper" -- love that green patina. Here are a couple of pics:

The part that comes with the kit is just the vertical part. And, that came in two pieces. One had to be cut to size and edge-glued to the other. Also, it wasn't clear to me how this attached to the roof. Seemed unlikely that it would just sit atop the shingles. So, I made up a ridge cap from the fold of a discarded envelope and painted it the same. The interface between the crest and the ridge cap wasn't clean....there were some noticeable gaps. I used gap-filling CA to glue the crest to the cap. That resulted in some of the blobiness that you see at the base of the crest. I thought about working on that more -- perhaps some filing and/or more glue to make it more consistent. But, I had already had a couple of problems with the crest coming apart at the edge-gluing site. So, I'm deciding to leave it alone (trying to learn the lesson mentioned above). Weathering will help and it's not that noticeable when you look at it live.

More shortly.

Vince
Vince

vinceg

And a couple of pics after weathering:

I tried to keep the weathering relatively modest as I am assuming the roof shouldn't be very tattered for a functioning commuter station. I started with a wash of Hunterline Light Gray stain. I then used some powders to create effects in a few locations. Finally, some dry brushing with Ivory art store acrylic.

More shortly.
Vince

vinceg

Building the bay roof now. Same process as the main roof:

As I am typing this, the bay roof is now assembled and the glue is set. I'll follow up with that later this afternoon.

Cheers,
Vince
Vince

Mark Dalrymple

Your roof looks mighty fine, Vince.

I love the hip capping - well worth the effort.

Cheers, Mark.

PaulS

Vince, I'll second Mark's comments in that the roof looks very nice.
And I too like the hip capping, well worth it !!
I'll continue to follow along with your progress,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

vinceg

Thank you, Mark and Paul. It's always nice to get some encouragement as focus on flaws....

Minor update - here's the basic bay roof before finishing the corner caps and weathering:

I am a bit surprised that it fit pretty well given all of the dimension problems I have had. And, when you look closely from ground level at a few of the angles you can see some small irregularities, but I will fight the urge to fuss with it this time around.

I'll report back once I have finished this roof and the "cricket" (the little angular thingy that goes between the bay roof and the main roof).

Cheers, Vince
Vince

ACL1504

Vince,

The roof is turning out looking very good. I like the look of any hip roof.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

vinceg

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 15, 2021, 09:50:27 AM
Vince,

The roof is turning out looking very good. I like the look of any hip roof.

Tom  ;D

Thank you, Tom. I agree. More of a pain to build but a much more interesting structure.
Vince

vinceg

I finished the roof today. Should all be there now - the bay roof, the cricket between the bay roof and main roof (Does anyone know if that's the real name of that juber?). The crest on the cricket. All the weathering.

Here are some pics:

The last pic is a bit of a puzzle to me. The roof on the bay looks a little crooked -- lower on the right than on the left. But before I weathered that roof, I took another picture that I did not post previously. The roof look somewhat straighter to me:

No idea how that happened. Perhaps it's just the different camera angle. Anyway, it's a bit disappointing but not a showstopper for me. I think the view from the aisle when the diorama is in place will be good.

Next up is the final piece of the building - the external enclosed stairway on the south (right) side. I'll be back once I have something to show there.

Cheers,
Vince
Vince

GPdemayo

Great work on the hip shingles and ridge Vince.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Quote from: GPdemayo on October 16, 2021, 08:27:13 AM
Great work on the hip shingles and ridge Vince.  8)

Vince,

What Greg said and then some.  Overall really nice work on a challenging kit! 
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Vince:

The roof shingles look just great. Glad to see you used Cap shingles instead of folded paper.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

vinceg

Vince