FSM Jacob's Coal

Started by deemery, November 17, 2018, 08:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

Nice little ice house.  This really taking shape now.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery

Hinges on the ice house doors, and the conveyor shed.  At first I built a nice annex with the idea of putting a smoke stack to indicate a boiler, but when it was almost done, I realized it was 180 degrees out, because I put the conveyor on the other side of the bins!  So I ended up salvaging the shack without the annex.  Yet Another Senior Moment...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

deemery

A small but fussy part done, the trestle bents for the conveyor.

dave

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

Nice work. Looks just great.

Karl

deemery

Some more little stuff...  I added the support on the bins for the roof, so I can show the porch and its roof in place (not glued together yet.)  I painted the drop grate on the side of the conveyor.  Not shown, I added a post on the roof of the ice house to hold a block.  I thought hard about how they'd get the ice into the ice house, and decided a block from the roof, with either human or horsepower to haul the ice up, would work.   That orange paint is just a primer, I need to get some "dirt colored" paint tomorrow to start on the scenery.

I ordered a couple of the new Owl Mountain lumber stacks to "populate" the lumber part of the installation.  Also, I decided they'll sell slate shingles, so I need to find a source for those, too.  (That's because I saw a sign on a 19th century dealer for "coal, lumber and shingles.")

dave

ACL1504

Dave,

I agree, very nice build of Jacobs Coal. The addition of the ice house is also well done. Great job all the way.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

PostalKarl talked about how he's making structures less weathered these days.  My goal is to make them 'appropriately weathered', acknowledging that in the 19th century, labor was cheap and many structures were very well maintained (particularly railroad structures.)  Others, though, reflect the fact that a lot more people lived at or near the poverty level.  For this coal dealer, I wanted a structure that reflected a fair amount of coal dust, but was in reasonably good repair.  So I'm thinking everything was painted barn red when it was first built, but that was maybe 10 years earlier.  I do need to add some appropriate weathering to the ice house, my thought is this is a newer structure. 

dave

Lynnb

Coming along nicely, all the little things and thoughts your putting into the build are going to pay off in a big way. I like the way you think about how the building (s)  may have looked back then.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

deemery

Details on the ice house.  My thought is they put 2x10 across the gap where the doors are, except when they need access to the bottom door.  I'll add those after I add ice to the loading dock. 

I also worked on the Gaterboard base.  That definitely needs more work.

dave

deemery

Well, all that detail in the front of the ice house won't show if I leave this in its currently planned position :-\

dave