LOGGING CAMP ESSENTIALS

Started by sdrees, December 11, 2018, 09:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnb

Quote from: sdrees on January 31, 2019, 03:33:12 PM
When I first built a Sierra West kit, Main Street, I used the bath.  that was the method Brett had in his instructions.  Since then, he has changed to the Rembrandt and alcohol method.  That went very well.  I then had picked up  one of Brett's older kits on the after market and since their was a lot of wood in the kit I used the bath method.  I did not like the results, and then applied the pastels and alcohol to the strip wood.  So yes, I have used it on the same wood.   When I have a lot of strip wood to treat, I do it in batches as I go along with the model and it seems to work fine for me.
Thanks Steve, I believe I will be following your lead.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

sdrees

Lynn, Hope it works out for you.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Lynnb

I just finally got up the nerve to doing the boards on my SierraWest WoodCutters Shack , I used 408.3 and 408.7 and the odd one added some rust in with those colours, I really like the way the boards came out. Thanks Steve
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

sdrees

Glad it worked out for you Lynn.  Are you going to show us some pictures?  Before I start a new method, I over thinks stuff to much and usually things work out just fine.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Lynnb

Quote from: sdrees on February 03, 2019, 09:09:51 PM
Glad it worked out for you Lynn.  Are you going to show us some pictures?  Before I start a new method, I over thinks stuff to much and usually things work out just fine.
Yes I too overthink and am often afraid to start something knowing there is another direction I could go. I will be posting some pics soon, I work slow because work gets in my way so don't want to start showing only to not show and get some sort of input.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

Pennman

Steve,
You've done fantastic work and coloring of all of your buildings so far.
I really like all of the various colors you have used throughout. Any chance
can you tell me what the footprint size is of the rigging shed?  Thanks
Rich

sdrees

Thanks for stopping by rich and your complimentary words.  the rigging shed measures 2" x 2-1/2".

And Lynn, after I use finish the strip wood with the chalks and they dry, I lightly run the wood through some 000 steal wool which removes the fuzz and blends the pastels more.
Steve Drees
SP RR

ACL1504

Steve,

Just getting caught up on the thread. Beautiful work and the look is stunningly realistic. All thumbs up!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SteveCuster

Great Job Steve! I really like the oil tank. Looks super grimy and dirty.

-Steve
Steve Custer

sdrees

Thanks tom and Steve for stopping buy.  Appreciate the comments.
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

I have gone ahead and made a diorama for the bunk houses for the Sierra West Kit Logging Camp Esentials which I will incorporate in my layout.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Terrific job Steve!  Very cool looking scene.  8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

nycjeff

Hello Steve, really great looking modeling. Your attention to detail really stands out. Terrific job all around.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

S&S RR

Great job Steve. Fantastic modeling and I like the wood color.  One of the things I've noticed with the pastels is some modelers make it too dark for my taste. I too, like the bath followed by pastel chalks (I think you get more variety of color), but you have to go with lighter colors unless you are modeling a building in a dark swamp.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad