Windows

Started by Mark Dalrymple, March 09, 2019, 03:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

I am starting work on a large area of my layout with around 100 residential houses to build.  Many of these houses are quite unique with a large variety of windows and doors.  My questions are these:

Who manufactures HO scale windows?  Tichy Train Group, Grandt Line, Campbell Scale Models, Scale Structures Ltd...???  I guess I'm really looking for quirky, unusual stuff.

Is there somewhere online to obtain the dimensions of these windows???  Tichy and Grandt line both give these - but I searched for ages yesterday trying to find dimensions for Scale Structures windows.  The mind boggles as to why you wouldn't go to the trouble to put these up - when scratch-building you often need a particular size.  There seems to be quite a bit here which may be useful from SS - although rather expensive - ornate arched windows, 2-story bay windows, dormer windows etc.  Anyone used these? Opinions?

And one very specific question - does anyone have a SS Tall 2 Pane Victorian Round Top Window they could measure for me?

I guess one further question would be has anyone scratch-built arched windows (with facings for clapboard)?  Any how to threads?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

rslaserkits

We can cut any size and style you like, would just need a size and photo or sketch of what you need
rich

deemery

Northeastern Scale Lumber also makes styrene windows.

The advantage of styrene windows is "no assembly".  The disadvantage is the limited choice.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

Mark,

Rail Scale Models now offers the former Rusty Stumps laser cut windows.  The plus is that there are lots of unique windows and doors not offered in plastic.  The downside is that it does take longer to assemble them than it does to slap a plastic window into the opening.

https://www.rail-scale-models.com/
Jerry

GPdemayo

100 houses.....??? ???  What are you putting them in Mark? That has to be some big layout to have space for that many houses.  :o

Please, more details on the layout and what you're doing..... :)

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks guys.

Greg - here is a link to my build thread.  Page 25 shows where I am at.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32581

Thanks Rich - I'll bare that in mind.  The trouble is I need only a few of each sort and I would imagine the set up costs would make it pretty uneconomical?

Thanks for the link, Dave.  Nothing ornate there though.  Maybe a few subtle differences to Tichy and Grandt line.

Thanks Jerry.  I'll check out Rail scale models after work tonight.

Cheers guys - any more?

GPdemayo

Thanks for the link Mark.....very impressive area.....keep us posted with your progress.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

vinceg

Thanks for the link, Mark. Your scene planning and prep is inspiring to behold.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee