Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Hi again.  Continuing on...

Below are a series of photos showing the new upcoming kit-bash in position.  I added the other kit-bashes in their various stages of completion to the scene.

Photo 1 - looking slightly right to left.  I considered raising the central section by half a story to accentuate the gables when looking from the left, but I think the raised roof line will hide too much of the Seymour kit-bash behind.

Photo 2 - A look down the curved road behind.  I think there is some nice interest here.  This is where I think that raised gable would work nicely.  I might still mock it up to access its pros and cons.  You can see there will be a lot of retaining walls to build here!

Photo 3 - shows the view from left to right.  Again, I think a little added height to that gable might be worth investigating.  I think the one story gable will work nicely as a shop front - perhaps out of a different medium?

Photo 4 - a view from right to left from a bit further back.  Here is where you see how the raising of that gable will obscure more of the view of the Seymour shop fronts behind.  In the end it will be a matter of weighing up what is most important.  You can see the previous Magnuson brewery to the far left.  It blends into the scene nicely.  I seems to go almost grey.

Photo 5 - here is an aerial view.  Its a nice example of how all my structures have to be built to fit their sites.  Out of the box kits just don't work for me!

Photo 6 - shows my pencil drawing of Tickner's watchworks.  There will still be a bit of design work to do when it arrives.

More soon, cheers, mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteGreat looking mockup.

Thanks, Curt.

It was a fun day.

I found my plan of Sheepscot's coaling tower yesterday.  I cut out a piece of MDF, attached it to a piece of 1"x2" and sellotape the plan to the MDF.  I then put it into position on the layout.  As I imagined the coal tower completely dominated the scene.  I just found my eye repeated drawn back to it.  Furthermore, the height of the tower meant it bisected the longways view down the layout.  So my original design for a 25T coaling tower will go ahead.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

deemery

Do you need plans for a 25t tower?  There's a set in Model Railroader (that was used for the 25t kit I just built.)  But frankly the 25t tower looks a little too small.  40t might be a better size, and it's not that much bigger....  I think Walthers has a 40t kit, but it's not that hard to scratchbuild, I think.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

I think ITLA's Albany Tower could find itself a home here too ;)

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteDo you need plans for a 25t tower?

Hi Dave - no, but thanks for the offer.  I am part way through a build using parts from a Campbell kit and a set of plans from MRR with a few minor adjustments.  I'm happy with the size and it suits my yard size.  Its just that the Sheepscot kit came up on trade me a few years ago at a pretty reasonable price and I just had to have it!

Photo 1 - I added a close up of my coal tower mock-up with the plans taped on.

Photos 2-5 - show two views with the 25T coal tower compared to two views with the 150T coal tower.  You have to imagine the width on the 150T coal tower - but even though the foot print is quite small, it is a huge structure.  It just kind of screams 'look at me!  Here I am!' and everything else seems to just fade into the background.  I had the same issue with the Sylvan freighter.  It looked like a cool kit but I always thought  it would over power the scene and give true scale against my compressed city.  I saw one made up at our train show and it was huge!  I'm so pleased I never bought one!  I think that's the thing with selective compression - you have to apply it to almost everything, or at least everything of any great size.  Either that or not apply it at all.  One makes the layout appear huge, the other makes the trains appear tiny.  Both have their merits, but I think you mix the two at your own peril.

Cheers, Mark

Mark Dalrymple

Hi Rusty.

Maybe the Southside hotel?

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

The way you use mockups is fantastic. You sure have a lot of modeling planed for your future.  The scene looks great.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 13, 2020, 09:27:27 PM
Hi Rusty.

Maybe the Southside hotel?

Cheers, Mark.

Another excellent choice

Mark Dalrymple

Quotethe way you use mockups is fantastic. You sure have a lot of modeling planed for your future.  The scene looks great.

Thanks, John!

I think the coal tower(s) are a great example of how a simple mock-up can let you see very easily whether something will work or not.  When standing at the end of the layout I can see the entire scene of the back wall diorama and the corner diorama over the top of the 25T coal tower.  This is certainly not the case with the 150T coal tower!  And of course this would be much worse with the 4" width added to it.  I always think it is very important when looking at adding a new structure to consider whether the overall scene looks better without it.

Yes - I, too, have a lifetime of modeling ahead of me!  I'm hoping that once we have this major landscaping chunk out of the way I will be able to put more time into my layout.  I already have timber fillet stacked and stropped (should be very dry and very straight by now) ready for the commencement of stage 2!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

A bit of progress.  I got some paint on the DPM Seymour kit-bash.

Photo 1 - shows the two paint colours I used for the brickwork and the picture in the book I was aiming for.

Photo 2 - shows the colours I used for the trim.  I was a little concerned with the brightness of the light green but hoped a dusting with chalk would tone it down enough.

Photo 3 - shows the front before grouting.

More in a sec, cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

continuing...

And here the kit-bash is after grouting with white chalk.

Photo 1 - shows the right front.

Photo 2 - shows the left front.

Photo 3 - The two shop fronts together.

Photo 4 - The left side.

Photo 5 - the left side and front.

I grouted the back and right side as well, but don't think these will be seen when on the layout.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

Great coloring on those.  You sure can pick some good combo's!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

Love seeing those DPM kits put to good use like this.  You're proving that they can be turned into some really nice looking structures.  The coloring is spot on.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.