Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey Mark:

Looks just great so far. Can't wait I see this finished.

Thanks, Karl.

I'm chipping away at it, but spring has sprung and the grass is riz.  Trying to find time among the chores.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well, a couple of pics to show where I am up to.

Here is some of the Rusty Rail details painted up and glued in position.  You can see I made a small box lit with an LED and have put in a man working at the saw.  He is making a casing for the new commission for one of the neighbouring towns post office clock.  The two staff members are having a quick smoko break.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

That really looks nice. It is starting to get a little cooler here, fall will soon be in the air.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Opa George

Mark,
Nice job on this.  I really like the night shot with the interior light and break time on the dock. Reminds me of too many third shifts from my past. But on the other hand, there is something very satisfying about taking a break outside at 3 am on a warm evening, when the rest of the countryside is slumbering and few bosses are lurking about.  You captured that well.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks very much John and George, much appreciated.

Well - I had some casting and mold making resin that was nearing its used by date, so I thought I'd better use it.  This, of course, led to me buying more and casting more.  You may remember my South River Modelwork's 'Thorndike Mills' kitbash mock up that I designed and built?  Well - I wrote to Bob and asked if I could make some molds and cast some walls for this kitbash.  As long as it was for my own use he was fine with this - and he put me on his email list so now I get emails telling me of new progress on his layout.

Photo 1 - shows a reminder of my kitbashing intensions.

Photo 2 - I cast 3 end walls.  I will only need two of these, but did an extra in case I decide to use one of them on one of the side faces. 

Photo 3 - I cast two of the paired side walls.  I did this so that I have the correct edges with the stonework on them.  I took the wall with the two freight doors on it out of the wrapper and found it was broken right through the centre of the doors.  I used CA to glue the two pieces back together and then made a mold and a casting.  The fracture was still visible on the plaster wall after the repair, but not on the resin casting.  I need to bash this wall, and didn't like my chances with a repaired plaster wall.  One of the side walls castings caused the cutting mat under it to warp as the chemical reaction took place.  It kind of bulged up in the centre.  Of course this left me with a warped casting.  I cast the rest of the castings on an area without a cutting mat underneath.  Lesson learnt.

Photo 4 - I also cast two castings of one of the stone retaining walls.  This I have used to bash a foundation for my clapboard addition to the kit.  Here I am holding my weatherboard side wall in position after checking it out to fit with the foundation.

Photo 5 - shows the weatherboard walls all cut out.  I have found some Tichy Train windows which are pretty close to those used on the timber wing of the SRM kit.

Photo 6 - I thought I'd have a go at making one of the cool ducting units which attach to the side of the mill.  I used rectangular styrene tube.  I cut myself a 22.5 degree piece of styrene to fit in my mitre box.  By holding the styrene tube on this angle I can then cut an accurate 22.5 degree cut, and join this to make a 45 degree bend.  I cut high tack tape into narrow slithers and wrapped this around the joins of these angles after gluing, and at even distances along the straight lengths of ducting.  I'm confident now that I can fairly easily make such ducting units to fit any structure.  The photo shows one of the metal castings from the kit next to my scratchbuilt one.  I might try narrower slithers of tape next time.

I also made a mold and castings of the bricked up window in-fills for the mill.

More soon, cheers, Mark. 

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks very much, Curt.  I would like to be getting more done, but of course, it is spring here in NZ and there is lot to do in our five acre garden.  I am also helping some friends look for a new house.  The property market has gone crazy in NZ over the last year with lots of expats returning to NZ with money to burn.  I went to an auction today where the house sold for 60% over the government valuation set in 2018.  This is becoming more the norm rather than the exception.  My wife and I are very pleased to be settled and happy here on our 11 acres!  BTW we have a new kune kune piglet arriving on the petbus later this month.  We recently lost one of our two 3-year-old girls and so need some company for Dorthey.

Well, along with my mold making and resin casting I have cut all the door and window openings out of the timber extension to my Thorndike's kitbash.  The windows and doors are from Tichy Train Group.  I used 4/4 which closely match the metal windows in the kit, but only had 9 of these so I used 2/1 windows for the top story, along with a couple of smaller 4-pane windows.  the kit has a few of these, too, so they will compliment nicely.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

It's great to see you making some progress on your layout even during the busy spring planting season.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Opa George

Hello Mark,

Nice looking walls in that last shot for Thorndike's. Good looking proportions with lots of interest.  Also, I really like those duct units you produces. Very clever and very convincing.
Sorry it took me so long to check in!

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

This is coming along very nicely. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteIt's great to see you making some progress on your layout even during the busy spring planting season.

Thanks, John.

I do enjoy a lot of the outside stuff.  Our woodland area where I put in about 150m of curving paths and planted around 25 maples along with some other trees and heaps of rhododendrons is really starting to come on.  Its nice to be starting to 'feel' the plan fleshing out and the new bones of the garden developing.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHello Mark,

Nice looking walls in that last shot for Thorndike's. Good looking proportions with lots of interest.  Also, I really like those duct units you produces. Very clever and very convincing.
Sorry it took me so long to check in!

Thanks, George.

I've put Thorndikes away for the not too distant future (always my plan - just wanted to get those walls cast, and figured while my head was in it I would cut and fit the timber walls and get the windows and doors ready).  We have our postponed Easter modeling convention in 2022.  I just got the latest update and it will only be going ahead if we are in level 1.  This is very much dependent on how much of the population get vaccinated and outbreaks of COVID19 moving forwards.  We still, at present, have no cases in the South Island (fingers crossed - I have another modeling weekend scheduled here for the first weekend in November).  My plan was to concentrate on the original L-shaped part of Tellynott until Easter 2022, and then maybe have a go at my first SRM kit(bash).

The duct was pretty easy to make.  I've always thought they looked cool.  In the future it should be a pinch to custom fit them around obstacles on structure walls.

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Mark, Cheers,

I haven't checked in lately and just now getting caught up. Even with the spring grass "riz", you've been busy.

I'm looking forward to your Thorndike kit bash. You always have such great vision for your builds and I enjoy watching it all come together.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey Mark:

This is coming along very nicely. Keep the pics flowing.

Thanks, Karl.

I'll try to keep up the momentum.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteMark, Cheers,

I haven't checked in lately and just now getting caught up. Even with the spring grass "riz", you've been busy.

I'm looking forward to your Thorndike kit bash. You always have such great vision for your builds and I enjoy watching it all come together.

Thanks, Tom.

I did the design work and made the mock-up while recovering from my back surgery a while back.  I was pretty restricted in what I was allowed to do in the beginning so this was a good project to keep me busy and entertained as well as making me feel like I was making progress.  All the best for your upcoming procedure.  I trust you have a few 'easy' projects lined up?

Cheers, Mark.