Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Shadowlands and Tellynott  (Read 6545 times)

mark dalrymple

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowlands and Tellynott
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2019, 01:47:50 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by Tom, John and Karl, and for your encouraging words.

I hope to find time today to draw in the structures - although that could take some time!

Tom - here are a couple of photos from our trip to Doubtful Sound.  The day we went out was beautiful and clear and we were able to do a bit of kayaking along the shores of one of the arms.  The next morning the world was covered in mist and full of secrets.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

NEMMRRC

• View Profile
    • Narrow Perspective
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2019, 08:03:19 PM »
impressive layout

jaime

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2020, 10:13:35 PM »
Hi guys.

Thanks, Jamie.

I've been thinking about the next section of the layout to be built and a different approach to viewing.  After about an hour of hunting I found the MRR article I was looking for to take a bit of inspiration from - March 1997, The Dolly Varden Mines in HOn21/2.  After a bit of studying and digesting I started doodling, thinking about ways I could gain the changes in elevation I need without a helix and framing different views.  The attached plan shows my progress thus far. As you can see I have split this module into three scenes, the lime-works to your direct right as you walk through the doorway between the two rooms (from Tellynott to Shadowlands}, a long thin scene with tracks at almost 300mm of vertical separation, and a long valley with the track snaking its way along the riverbed in the valley.  I think the division walls will largely have mountains to the module ceiling.  The helix has been done away with and replaced by a staggered loop to gain height.  At present the grade would be 3%.  If I make the scenery hard shell I should be able to create access hatches from below.  The radius of the inner track is peco setrack #3 (R=505mm, 19 7/8").  What do you think????

Cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2020, 08:45:15 AM »
That's going to make for some very dramatic scenery Mark.....looking forward to seeing you build it.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2020, 08:47:07 AM »
Mark

It's great to see you planning the next section. I sure like the elevation change. Please keep posting, I'm watching with great interest.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »
That's going to make for some very dramatic scenery Mark.....looking forward to seeing you build it

Thanks, Gregory. 

I'm still very much throwing around ideas and will have to give this one a lot more thought - including making a model of the model so I can visualize how it might (or might not) work.  I'm hoping that whatever I end up doing will have a lot of drama.

Cheers, Mark.

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »
It's great to see you planning the next section. I sure like the elevation change. Please keep posting, I'm watching with great interest.

Thanks, John.

Yes - I do like this better without the helix.  It really came down to - where am I aiming to get the most vertical distance between the tracks and working backwards from this point.  The staging doesn't need to be as low as I have built it - I can easily raise it by putting down some polystyrene - and, since I have decided that Graves elevators, Thorndike mills, and my tap and die factory can all be switched from the existing visible rail on Tellynott (with elevation changes as originally designed), as soon as the main line pierces the backdrop of Tellynott it can start descending.  All this equated to the helix feeling like a bit of an overkill and I started considering other ways to gain the considerably less elevation I now needed.  The vertical displacement between River and Mountain stays the same, as this displacement is dictated by the elevation change I can obtain  in the peninsula part of Shadowlands.  I drew three different track plans of the layout, including schematics, a couple of weeks ago, and this made clear the reasons for reversing loops, wall piercings etc whereas before I had always got rather confused following my finger around the track plan.  I'll post a picture of the winner soon but the most complicated track plan made the least sense.  It also became clear that I only needed a reversing loop in one direction (to turn trains leaving Tellynott to create an out and back), and by sacrificing stage 2 continuous running I would not need to pierce the internal barn room walls at all.  Those schematics really help make sense of a bowl of spaghetti!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2020, 08:29:27 PM »
Mark

I think you are  going about this in exactly the right way.  I started out with two helix in my layout and eliminated them by creating another loop around the room.  What really helped for me was to create the mountains and then cut the railway through them. Just like the prototypes did.  I knew the height of the highest and lowest points I needed to reach with the rail and designed a track plan to achieve it. It takes three loops around the room for a train to get from the lowest to highest point on the railroad, but from any viewing point it looks like one continuous scene with multiple views of the railroad.  I used clay models, I spent my working career in the automobile industry where every new vehicle starts with a clay model, to visualize each area of the layout. I have two more clay models that I will be making as I progress to new areas of the layout. Good luck with your design - I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad