Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Shadowlands and Tellynott  (Read 11312 times)

mark dalrymple

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowlands and Tellynott
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2020, 08:52:55 PM »
Hi guys.

Below are some photos showing the internal floors glued into position along with the parapet walls between the buildings.  This has firmed up this end of the structure very nicely.

Photo 1 - shows the internal floors from the back of the front.  I measured and drew lines on the inside of the walls for the internal floors and then glued them into position with CA.  For the roof I added some square strip plastic to the internal walls first to make sure things were nice and flat.

Photos 2-4 - show the structure from the top and side.  I am just holding the back in position to show the fit.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2020, 01:41:56 PM »
Hi guys.

Well - I've managed to whittle away a bit more styrene.

Photos 1 & 2 - show the inside of the front and back with all the strengthening added.

Photos 3 & 4 - show the roof templates glued into position.  These are not glued to the back so it still pulls apart into two sections.  You can see I added an internal roof height change.  This was necessary as I decided to keep the back wall of the M. T. Arms hotel all at one height without the step opposite the front.

I used clamps to hold the two pieces together nice and tight and true when fitting the last roof sections.  After the roof sections were cut and sanded and fitted snugly I took the two sections apart and measured down from the top of the walls and marked the position of the roof bracing with pencil.  I then glued in square timber stock along those lines with CA. The two sections were then put back together and re-clamped and then I glued the roof pieces into position, only to the front and sides.  I edge glued and glued to the stock below.  The side parapet walls also helped to keep things square and add strength and stability.  I have one shop front window to address, where I swapped the position of the door and window openings to match the other walls and keep the steps in building fronts more consistent.  After that little job this feels like a nice place to put this one aside and get back to the cannery.  After spending almost the entire year working on the cannery its nice to get another major structure well underway.  I've enjoyed the wharf and cannery immensely, but boy has it taken some time!

More soon, cheers, Mark.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 01:47:11 PM by mark dalrymple »

PRR Modeler

• Modeling the Pennsy
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2020, 03:37:08 PM »
WOW, amazing modeling.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Rusty Robot

• One Hundred Post Club
    • View Profile
    • Rusty Robot - Blog
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2020, 03:41:26 PM »
Continually impressed, Mark. Can't wait to see it painted!

You've made me want to pull my DPM kits out of the Rubbermaids!

postalkarl

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »
Hey Mark:

That's coming along very nicely.

Karl

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2020, 02:27:24 PM »
Hi guys.

Thanks very much for your comments and for following along, Curt, RR and Karl - much appreciated.

Well - Thursday morning came about, which is when I get my travelling project ready for the afternoon (every second week - we take turn about doing the travelling.  It used to be 2 minutes drive until we moved, not it is half an hour).  My plan was to get the cannery inside and see if I could find a sub assembly to take to Neil's to do - but it was raining and I didn't want to bring the cannery from the barn to the garage in the rain.  The kit-bash I have been working on is up to puttying and as we model on Neil's dining room table I didn't want to stink their house out.  So - I picked a couple of smaller projects to get underway.

I started with a Magnuson Fountain Brewery kit-bash.

Photo 1 - shows my mock-up.  It has three gable walls, one front wall and a side wall that will be visible.  The remaining walls I will build from stock.  Again, it is enclosed by two roads, one in front and one behind, both curving and at grade.

Photo 2 - shows the mock-up from above.  I intend to cut a section off the back of the central flat roof following the pencil line I have drawn.

Photo 3 - shows two of the same walls from two different kits.  I bought a second kit recently, being a big fan of this kit.  Every wall is different and it also lends itself to smaller structures.  It is also quite different to most other kits out there.  I had thought I would use one of the gable walls twice to keep a similar look on this structure, but when I put the two walls together they were incredibly different in size.  So far out there was no way I could use them together.  Maybe someone can explain this difference to me?  We are talking 1/4" or more.  I'll just have to use one of the other gable walls from the same kit - no biggy.

Photo 4 - shows where I have got to.  I tried gluing with CA - after sanding the backs - but it didn't even think about holding.  I then tried super glue with kicker - again, nothing.  At this stage I put this kit-bash down and started on my second project (lucky I took two!)  When I got home I made up a 12 degree template to hold the gable walls at the right angle for the curved front and glued together using two part epoxy.  I was able to glue the resin walls to my plastic base using CA.  I also had to repair a chip out of the top corner of the gable by searching the box for two small chips that had come off during shipping.  Apparently my parcel was opened by customs and repacked very poorly.  As a consequence it arrived with two chipped walls and one broken one.

Photo 5 - shows my Thursday modeling buddy and very good friend, Neil, between two of his scratch-built Kauri trees in 1:34 scale.  Neil's motto is 'every shop is a model shop'.  Much of his mind blowing scenery comes from all sorts of weird and wonderful things.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

• Modeling the Pennsy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
Everything looks fantastic Mark.
Curt Webb

S&S RR

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
Mark

You are making some nice progress, looks great - tell Neil those are some great looking trees, too.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
Hi guys.

Thanks very much, Curt and John.

My other project was a two shop block which sits in front of the large City Classics and DPM kit-bash.  It will be  good one to get underway as it will let me see exactly what will be visible behind it and so which windows can be left simple without added details.  I forgot to take a before photo, but I had one front main wall left from a DPM Seymour kit.  For the left side I will use a side wall from a DPM M. T. Arms hotel kit and the other side and back wall will be unseen so I will use stock.

Photo 1 - shows the mock-up.  The red line is the curving graded road.

Photo 2 - shows the mock-up from the top.  Another odd shape.  I will likely add some exterior steps from the lower road level up to a door on the M.T. Arms side wall.  The front of these shops sits on the same road as the front end of the larger kit-bash, while the sides and back will have a two story basement and sit on the lower road, opposite the main larger kit-bash frontage.

Photo 3 - shows a shot of the wall as it was before I started.  I cut the central section out, cut the 45 degree bevel off the right end, and cut and filed out one of the panels and windows out to create a second door.

Photo 4 - shows the walls sitting in their correct orientation (swapped left to right) and heights with styrene bases added to give the same height as the M. T. Arms hotel side wall.

I do love these Thursday sessions.  We model for about 3 hours and I usually carry on a bit after we have finished.  Yesterday, when I got home, I got the two part epoxy out and made my 12 degree template.  Sometimes its the only modeling I get done for the week - so at least during these times there is some progress!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

• Modeling the Pennsy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2020, 06:25:13 PM »
Looking good Mark.
Curt Webb

postalkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2020, 07:10:06 AM »
Hey Mark:

It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »
Mark this is getting better with each addition.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2020, 06:38:16 PM »
Hi guys.

Thanks very much Curt, Karl and Jerry!

I've carried on plodding away with the Magnuson kit-bash.  The two part epoxy is working, but I need to clamp everything and the glue takes 16 hours to cure.  as many of the resin walls are a bit warped, I thought I'd use internal styrene bracing to straighten things out.  I figured I could glue timber bracing to the back of the resin walls and then CA to glue the styrene internal walls to the timber bracing and the styrene base.  I'd figured two hours of curing should be enough for the epoxy (having long since lost the card that came with the glue giving this information).  I glued the styrene in position and held the resin wall nice and straight while the CA went off.  I then let go.  'Perfect' I said.  I then watched as over the next 5 minutes the pressure of the resin wall wanting to resume its warp slowly prized the timber brace from the back of the resin wall.  Bug**r!  Lesson learnt.  Next time I'll try and straighten them out before I start.  I re-glued the timber brace, weighted it down, and left it for 16 hours to cure (after using google to find this important information).  My next attempt this morning was successful.

Photo 1 - shows the three front walls glued to the base and braces holding my corner timber brace in position while it glues.

Photo 2 - shows the three front walls, side wall and back gable wall glued together along with the two internal styrene walls keeping the structure rigid, true, and de-warped.  I'm finding this kit pretty awful to be fair.  I glued the side wall into position, holding it down firm on a flat surface while the CA glued to the base, thus keeping the bottom walls nicely lined up (I've found that the CA will hold a resin/ styrene join, if there is no undue pressure, but I follow this up with a timber brace glued to both surfaces with epoxy).  I noticed a bit later that the top of the walls did not line up.  Furthermore, and far more problematically, I noticed that the windows on the side and front wall did not line up by some margin.  So - out with the knife, cut along the seams, disassemble and clean up ready for a next attempt.  Firstly I cut and entire line of bricks off the bottom of the side wall - and these are some pretty large bricks.  I've struck these sort of problems before, but along with the warpage, the gluing issues and the extremely hard and brittle nature of the medium, it makes adjustments a bit of a pain.  My second attempt went much better!

Photo 3 - shows the structure from above.

Photo 4 - shows a view showing the back gable wall.

Photo 5 - shows the structure from the front and side.

I'm using City Classics side walls to fabricate the forth gable walls and the other two walls.  When I kit-bash I often seem to end up with a lot of side walls left over, so they just get treated as scrap.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

madharry

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2020, 06:38:58 AM »
I think this must be the brewery kit. My heart goes out to you as I have built this kit. Warpage on resin walls is usually solved by plunging the parts in boiling water and then putting them under weights. I am sure you have tried this already though.
Mike

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2020, 05:25:05 PM »
Hi guys.

Thanks for the tip, Mike.  Yes - it is the Fountain Brewery kit.  I believe this is my first attempt at a resin kit???  I have used the odd resin wall here and there as part of a larger kit-bash, but in conjunction with styrene walls.  I have a good number of Magnuson kits to deal with - so will have to sort out how to best deal with these problems.  I'll be sure to try the 'plunge' method moving forward.  How long do you plunge for?

Well - a bit of cutting and filing and fitting and I have the three back walls fitting nicely.  I have glued the gable wall and the large back wall together at the correct angle.  The structure is now feeling very strong and is almost completely square and true.  I think the large flat roof section will get the last little bit, and if not it is so minimal that it will never be seen.  I have put the roof timbers attached to the interior of the kit walls at the right height so that the styrene roof is the correct height for the central flat roof.  Once this is glued into position I can then add internal dummy walls for the two gable roofs.

Photo 1 - shows the back sitting in position.  It was made from side walls from City Classics kit.  It shouldn't be visible when viewing the layout, but just in case someone shows up with a selfie stick...

More soon, cheers, Mark.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal