Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

It's progressing right along and looks just great.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks very much, Karl.  The weather has meant I have been able to find a bit more time than usual.

I got the second entrance way made up and installed yesterday afternoon.  As this one was put in a window opening it was a different width that the other so I used different material, but basically did it the same way.  I also added some 2mm plastic wedges on the downward side of the doors for foundations, sanded for some tooth and then dabbed on textured gel to look like stucco.

Photo 1 - shows the new entrance way in the right hand building and the foundations.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

This is coming along very nice. It's good to see you get some modeling time in. I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks very much, John.  I'm enjoying making a bit of speedy (for me) progress.

Well, yesterday I got a bit of paint on the Fountain Brewery.  I put the paint mixture on with a largish brush and then sponged and smeared on black while the base colour was still wet.  If I went too far I brought it back with some more of the brown colour mix.  I wanted to get away from the typical brick colours, and found a picture in a book of old Australian towns I have that I liked and tried to get close to that.  After I was happy with my swirling mess, I picked out a few bricks in a more classic brick colour.  I may add a few in the darker brown/ black in some of the lighter areas.  The chalk mortar lines should blend and bring it together.

Photo 1 - shows the colours I used.  Burnt umber, burnt umber (but quite a different shade) Naples yellow and mars black.

Photo 2 - shows the paint going on.

Photo 3 - shows the side wall.

I then trialed a few different colours and went with primer for the concrete work, and foundation for the windows, both from Floquil.

Photo 4 - shows the colours picked out on one of the gable walls.  Its fiddly time consuming work, and I will need to do some touch ups in the brown.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Keep It Rusty

Really liking the look of that brick. Great work.

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

That's coming along really well. The walls look just great.

Karl

PRR Modeler

That came out looking great.  It definitely makes me think of dirty old brick buildings in a city.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

vinceg

Yes, indeed. Really love the smudgy blackness. Good look.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks very much Rusty, Karl, Curt and Vince.  I find these walls always look so different after the grout goes on.  I tend to tell myself 'I think it will look OK'.  Its nice to have some encouragement.

The DPM kit-bash got a small amount of puttying and a coat of primer.  My friend, Neil was impressed by how tight the fit is on the sliding back.  There really is no need to glue this in place.

Photos 1-3 show the structure ready for painting.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Dennis Bourey

Beautiful job Mark!!!!...Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

jerryrbeach

mark,

I find your planning, scene composition and your problem solving approach to the elevation changes fascinating.  Thanks for the pics.
Jerry

Jerry

Mark beautiful coloring on the walls.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

It gets more impressive with every post Mark.....great job.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Keep It Rusty

Mark, what DPM kit is that — the half painted one above?

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI find your planning, scene composition and your problem solving approach to the elevation changes fascinating.  Thanks for the pics.

Thanks very much, Jerry.

This is definitely one of my favourite parts of the hobby.  I always have a great time walking around in any steep city/ town.  Here in New Zealand, I have taken a lot of inspirations from Lyttelton, Wellington and Dunedin.  I find it fascinating to see how designers and builders deal with setting a level floor against a steep slope.  I also find you also learn a lot from looking at the back of the buildings.

Cheers, Mark.