Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Mark,

Getting caught up on this thread.  I especially like the town map with the industries called out.  IMO the types and number of industries and commercial shops sets the scene for both era and locale.  Having that planned out in advance, even if it changes somewhat, helps keep you focused on your goal.  Thanks for giving us the area measurements, it really helps put the photos into perspective.  I really enjoy getting to follow along with your progress. 
Jerry

S&S RR

Mark

Wow - you have been busy with the planning since I last visited your build thread.  I really like the plan view graphic with the names and types of businesses. I'm going to borrow that idea, as I take the plan for my large town of Vansel on the S&S RR to the next level. All the elevation changes are really going to make this a great scene. Your work is definitely motivating me to work on my layout.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteGetting caught up on this thread.  I especially like the town map with the industries called out.  IMO the types and number of industries and commercial shops sets the scene for both era and locale.  Having that planned out in advance, even if it changes somewhat, helps keep you focused on your goal.  Thanks for giving us the area measurements, it really helps put the photos into perspective.  I really enjoy getting to follow along with your progress.

Thanks very much, Jerry.

I found a lot of great information on a New Zealand online historical site.  Among many other things it listed the sort of shops you would find in a small rural town through to a city.  I thought this might be of interest to some of my followers so...

Small rural town - general store - which typically offered goods on credit to local farmers.

Village type rows of shops centered on the main road, typically on bus or tram routes...
grocer, pharmacy, stationer/ newsagent, butcher, hairdresser, post office, green grocer, baker.

Larger rows might also include...
real estate agent, confectioner, bank(s), draper, hardware store, jeweler, service station.

The city center had more variety with...
specialized small shops, chain stores, large emporiums, department stores.

You can see how this information would be very helpful.  Not only for small village row shops like I will likely put in the peninsula of Ingelltown, but also for the original rows in Tellynott around which the larger city grew.  It also shows me any obvious gaps I might have.

In regards to the measurements I find it really puts things in perspective too.  For example, Zealandia bicycles, the kitbash I am working on now, is rather large, but within the plan of Tellynott it is quite tiny.  Even the huge hospital doesn't look that big!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteWow - you have been busy with the planning since I last visited your build thread.  I really like the plan view graphic with the names and types of businesses. I'm going to borrow that idea, as I take the plan for my large town of Vansel on the S&S RR to the next level. All the elevation changes are really going to make this a great scene. Your work is definitely motivating me to work on my layout.

Thanks, John.

I'm very pleased to help keep one of my main motivators motivated!  I was undecided on whether it would be better to number and then list the industries or just use arrows.  I'm sure if you were good with a computer it would be easy to change this around on a whim.

Yes - the elevation changes really bring the scene to life.  They also make it possible to cram a lot more believably into the scene.  It does, however, make it difficult to display this visually on a plan.  I might look at adding some elevations to the roads.

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

I read the history and the back story of your layout Mark. The layout plan makes much more sense to me now Mark. Cheers.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

Thanks for the info.

Karl

nycjeff

Hey Mark, I'm really enjoying watching your city scene come together, what a lot of work. I appreciate the effort on the track plan illustration, it makes it much easier to see what your overall idea is for your layout. You're doing some great work and I like your detailed explanations of your thought and building processes.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey Mark, I'm really enjoying watching your city scene come together, what a lot of work. I appreciate the effort on the track plan illustration, it makes it much easier to see what your overall idea is for your layout. You're doing some great work and I like your detailed explanations of your thought and building processes.

Thanks so much Jeff. 

Its great to get feedback like this.  I enjoy all the planning and it often helps me get my head around what I am trying to achieve.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

QuoteHey Mark:

Thanks for the info.

You are very welcome, Karl.

So following on in the planning tangent. 

Photo 1 - I found a plan I had done a few years back when I first thought of the potential for using Jacksons Bay with a rewritten history as the setting for my fictional layout.  I did this before I started working on a track plan design for Shadowlands to get my head around where the track might go and for what purposes.  I also used a geological map showing what minerals were where and then tried to think like a railway engineer, using the contour lines to help guide where the track might need to cross rivers valleys, spiral and pierce ridges to gain the height required.  If you look carefully in the top left I have pit in a scale and a small map of New Zealand showing where the area I am modeling is.

Photo 2 - shows a schematic diagram of the layout as I have it planned so far.  If we ignore the limeworks and the staging and return loop on out first pass, we can also think of this as a point to point between Tellynott and the staging (more schematic plans to come).  Indeed we could do a full revolution and a bit to the return loop and then a full revolution and a bit back to Tellynott.  I'd have to do some calculations but I believe that is around 17scale km (10.5scale miles) of track.  With geared locos that should take some time to do.  Exciting!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks very much, Curt.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well I have some LBP to take to my friend, Neil's house tomorrow for modeling Thursday, and I felt like a bit of a change today.  Last month my Tickner's Watchworks arrived from Scale Structures and I've been itching to see how it will kitbash to fit my spot.  As with most of my kitbashes it is a bit of an exercise in selective compression.  So I started by scanning the walls, enhancing the image a bit, and printing them off - 2 copies just in case.  I then started cutting and pasting.  Every time I cut a wall into pieces I photographed it.  In this way I have a record of what I did when it comes time to kitbash for real.  This will be a bit of a homage to George Sellios.  My space dictates that it can't be quite the same, but it will certainly take its inspiration from George's bash of this kit.  In fact, until recently, I didn't realize what kit is was.  This has always been one of my very favouritee structures on the F&SM, and the spot on my layout was almost perfect for this kitbash.

Below are three photos of the walls and how I cut them.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Continuing...

So - the front wall I used stock standard.  The left side wall also had several scale feet cut off the bottom.  The back wall I cut several scale feet off the bottom and cut a section of the wall off including the door to the right.  This will leave me the 45 degree bevel at the left end.  The right end wall has been cut to give the left end of the structure along with the left return of the three story section.  I will step the structure back at this point to allow room for a loading dock, approximately 5 1/2 scale feet.  Between the back wall and the left wall I put a 12 degree angle in to align with the Peco turnouts.

Photo 1 - shows the mock-up from in front.

Photo 2 - shows it from the right.

Photo 3 - shows it from the left.

Photo 4 - shows the mock-up from above on an angle.

Photo 5 - shows it from above.  You can see how it is designed to fit against the retaining walls supporting the roads.

Photo 6 - shows a close up.  I put the stack at the right end.

I also put the left end wall at a slightly acute angle (around 80 degrees) to allow room for vehicle access to Zealandia cycle work's service center.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

Coming along nicely. You did a great job with that brick building.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey Mark:

Coming along nicely. You did a great job with that brick building.

Thanks, Karl.

I still have a few things to add to Zealandia cycle works.  I was preparing some LBP for the loading docks and also for Burton Brewing company which I am starting to finish off.  More on that soon.

I was quite pleased with the mock-up of Tickner's Watchworks.  Even with only the scanned and printed walls you really get a feel for how the finished structure will look.  It has such a unique look, being cast concrete cladding.

Cheers, Mark.