Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Good evening.  I spent the last few days up in Northern Michigan at my cabin the Northern Hqtrs. of the S&S RR. It appears that a number of my response posts that I sent on the 1970 version ( I know when the internet was invented - I was there ;) ;D ) of the internet up there didn't make it to Jimmy's server so I'm doing some reposting. My phone magically found 65 txt messages and 35 emails on my drive back home.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on November 14, 2020, 03:27:47 AM
Wow , that is fully worth the 6 years , great progress John.

Jan

I think you have been following my progress on this thread for all of those six years.  Thank you for following along.  I looked up when I dismantled my old layout and started this version of the S&S RR. It was 2009 when I started plastering over the old layout.  So it's been 11 years. Now, I have to look up when I started the build thread on the old forum?
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 14, 2020, 06:45:35 AM
John,

Words escape me, almost.  I think what strikes me the most, aside from the progress and the beautiful scenery, is the furniture quality finish to the front of the layout. WOW!

Jerry

Thank you for the very kind words - I really enjoy wood working aspect of the hobby. I look forward to putting the finishing touches on this section of the layout. But first, I have a barn and farm to complete.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PaulS on November 14, 2020, 08:24:37 AM
Quote from: mark dalrymple on November 13, 2020, 11:27:02 PM
Sometimes - when you see pictures like these - you realize you HAVE made progress!  Its easy to get lost in the woods.

Looking very fine, John.

Cheers, Mark.
John, wonderful progress, and Mark said exactly what I was thinking.
I'm guilty of getting lost in the woods and having these types of photos to capture progress is satisfying and motivational at the same time.  Of course you need no more motivation as you continue to inspire with your progress !!
Keep up the wonderful work and modeling.
All the best,
--Paul

Paul

Thank you for the kind words and for following along. It does help me to take a look back once and awhile to see where I have been. Building a layout is a series of very big projects and sometimes you feel like you are not making significant progress. Okay, let's get to work we have railroads to build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on November 14, 2020, 08:47:42 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on November 14, 2020, 08:22:25 AM
Quote from: Rusty Robot on November 13, 2020, 10:36:45 PM
Wow, that's a great shot of the layout. Very cool - and excellent modeling. Can't wait to see it even more populated with structures.

Craig

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words. The G. Wilikers I'm working on now is going in this area along with 4 more at the top of my build list.

Keep us updated with your progress on that awesome kit! Can't wait to see where you put it!

I keep going back and forth between my Beach Farms build and the G. Wiliker's build.  I will be posting updates on both of them this week. I should also mention that I have Started the FSM Brownsville Depot kit - so far I painted the castings at the same time I was working on the castings for G. Wiliker's. I put together a plan for the Vansel build while I was sitting by the fire in the evenings at the cabin this week. I think the last count was 20 FSM and SRMW kits that will be part of this town in one form or another.  There will be kit bashing. I'm sure then number will grow as the plan matures. I will share some of my sketches when I get it a little farther along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 14, 2020, 08:56:10 AM
What a beautiful looking layout.
[/quot

Curt

Thank you so much, I really enjoy the encouragement that comes from your continued following of this build thread.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I uploaded this file to test the new Safari and MacBook Pro operating system based on Dave's warning.  The uploaded to my gallery just fine. This post will test if it posts okay.  This is the area of the S&S RR that will be the town of Vansel.  I'm using this picture to markup different ideas in my iPad.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

rubbergauge

Your layout is beautiful and a work of art. Having recently found this thread I've been reading it back from the beginning and have a question. I noticed that you glue the roof cards to your structures and then shingle. I thought the recommendations were to shingle, trim and then glue the cards on. Could you explain the advantage of your procedure?

thanks,
Joe

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Keep It Rusty

Dave,

Have you tried a different browser on the same system? Like Chrome or Firefox? This way we can pinpoint if it's simply a Safari issue or not.

S&S RR

Quote from: rubbergauge on November 19, 2020, 08:49:42 AM
Your layout is beautiful and a work of art. Having recently found this thread I've been reading it back from the beginning and have a question. I noticed that you glue the roof cards to your structures and then shingle. I thought the recommendations were to shingle, trim and then glue the cards on. Could you explain the advantage of your procedure?

thanks,
Joe

Joe

Welcome to the forum and to my build thread. Thank you for the kind words.  You are correct that many modelers (really good ones in fact) like to build the walls of structures and roofs of structures while they are flat on the workbench. I actually did it that way for many years.  Usually, for me anyway, I had to do some touchup once the building was together. As I used more and more chalks to achieve the look I wanted, it became more and more touchup.  So I tried building a structure like a 1:1 build and gluing it together and then painting it and I just like doing it that way a lot better. I even like putting the signs on better with the structure assembled. I brace my builds to the point that handling them is not an issue. If I do want to lay it flat for some reason during the build I make a temporary holding fixture out of bench cookies to keep from damaging anything. You will see the bench cookies on my workbench in a lot of the process pictures. They are round plastic "cookies" that look like a hockey puck. As for the roof cards, I just find it easier to add the shingles or roofing with the card in place on the building. I have never found a disadvantage to doing it this way.   I hope this answers your question.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on November 19, 2020, 09:58:45 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on November 18, 2020, 02:51:27 PM
Seems to work okay.

Well, glad to know that I'm the only person with this problem...

dave

Dave

I hope you can find a solution to your problem.  Computer issues are always frustrating. I had an issue with one operating system upgrade where my CAD Design package would not work. I called TurboCAD and they sent me an upgrade for $45 that solved the problem.

Update: So I just tried to bring up my design files with TurboCAD and I have a problem. So much for my seamless upgrade.

Update to the update: A call to TurboCad and a $79 dollar upgrade to a $700 program and I'm back up in running.  It took 20 min. This is the third time that I have updated - It has been 7 years since the last upgrade to version 10. I'm now at version 12 - my original purchase was version 9. It sure was nice to see that design pop up on the screen.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

My TurboCad update seems to be working fine - one of the projects on my list is to update all of the graphics for the control panels.  I really needed the software to be working properly to make that happen.  I have a number of changes plus a few labeling changes to make operations easier.

I also have been spending a few days doing some design work on the town of Vansel, the next area of the layout that I will be working on. I'm probably 6 months out from getting started on this area but I have some design features to work out that I want completed before I start building any more structures.

Today, I'm getting back to my Beach Farm and my G. Wilikers builds. I should have some progress pictures this evening.

John Siekirk