Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I stopped by Wayne Olson's place, yesterday, to pick up the boat models he has been working on, and to give him the supplies he needs to build some water towers. Wayne and I would get together most Saturdays, before Covid, and he would help me work on my layout. I sure miss being able to work together and look forward to the vaccine so we can renew that tradition.  Here is a picture of his latest works of art. I also have hundreds of Aspen trees that Wayne painted ready for the flocking.  I plan to wait for Wayne to do the planting.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Keep It Rusty

Love 'em. Really looking nice. That Wilikers build is still a sight.

I'm expecting a delivery soon for a Shrimp Cutter I'm planning to use on my Rocky Point Harbor tribute — which is threatening to become a rather large diorama!

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on November 28, 2020, 10:39:50 AM
Love 'em. Really looking nice. That Wilikers build is still a sight.

I'm expecting a delivery soon for a Shrimp Cutter I'm planning to use on my Rocky Point Harbor tribute — which is threatening to become a rather large diorama!

Wayne did a great job on the boats. He has been building model ships for years and always adds many details that don't come with the kit - my harbor scene is going to have lots of watercraft traffic.

I have little subassemblies laying on three different workbench for both the Wilikers and the Beach Farms builds.  I will be adding them over the next few days and then it will be time for some more progress pictures.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

the boats Wayne built are just beautiful. Enjoy them. I can't wait for this vaccine also.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on November 30, 2020, 07:58:43 AM
Hey John:

the boats Wayne built are just beautiful. Enjoy them. I can't wait for this vaccine also.

Karl

Thank you Karl.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have been busy building all the various subassemblies for both the Beach Farms build and the G. Wilikers build and thought I would share my technique for building all the decks. You will notice in the picture that I'm building over the template that George provided with the kit but I'm holding all the joists in place with laser cut templates.  The templates are a great tool and really help with this process.  I stain all the undersurface pieces of the deck before I put it together, but wait until everything is glued in place to stain the deck boards.  I just find it easier to add the details, like nail heads, to the wood after it is in place. Any grain or texturing of the wood is done before it is glued down.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

It's time for some update photographs for both the G. Wilikers and the Beach Farms builds.  I have added a number of the shed to G. Wilikers and currently have the platform on my workbench adding the legs.

The foam landforms are going in on the Beach Farms build.  I should start adding the sand tomorrow. I have a lot of fence to build to finish this off the way I want to, so I will be building a fence jig tomorrow, too.

It looks like I will be doing round 6 of straightening the posts on the front porch of the farm house. :-[ ::)

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Wow John, What a Beautiful job your doing on this......Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on nicely, John.

I like the idea of the joist holders - might have to make some of those.

Cheers, Mark.

jerryrbeach

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 02, 2020, 11:51:50 PM
Coming on nicely, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark,

Here's a source for the joist jigs.  I know postage from the US is expensive.  FWIW,

https://www.rail-scale-models.com/products/HO-Construction-Jigs
Jerry

jerryrbeach

John,

Great to see your progress on both builds.  (What's up with the smaller than usual photos from you?)
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on December 02, 2020, 09:26:58 PM
Wow John, What a Beautiful job your doing on this......Dennis

Dennis

Thank you, I can wait to start adding the details.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 02, 2020, 11:51:50 PM
Coming on nicely, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you, the joist holders work great. They are available laser cut here in the States. I'm not sure what it would cost or how long it would take to get them to you. You can also make them with your table saw with the right size blade. I have considered taking on that project to make some longer ones.  I have multiple sets and stagger them to make longer runs now.
John Siekirk