Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This is the connection board for the track power.  Only one power district is connected right now, number 105 which is the mainline for the helix. The last time you saw this it was on my workbench.  This is also mounted in the top of the cabinets so all I have to do is reach up to make the connections.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here is a zoomed out picture showing both connection boards.  Each of the control panels will have their own junction board for the touch switches.  All of the 12 volt power supplies will be plugged into this power strip.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, for tonight, I cut the holes and started construction for two more control panels. I took a picture of the one in the hall way- it will control the turnouts in the South Yard - the second one is right beside the control panel that is finished and will control the North Yard turnouts (picture next time).

John Siekirk

deemery

John, thanks for the 'average' - that gives me a good sense of how I might split my layout into Power Districts of a comparable size/complexity.  (probably 4, in my case :-) :-) )

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on July 28, 2019, 08:14:50 PM
John, thanks for the 'average' - that gives me a good sense of how I might split my layout into Power Districts of a comparable size/complexity.  (probably 4, in my case :-) :-) )

dave

Dave

I would say that the most important rule is any hidden areas need to be on their own power district.
Like inside Mountains and tunnels.  That is where the shorts will occur, manly because you can't see that pair of rail cutters you laid on the track when you were working in there,  and being able to isolate these areas can save hours trying to find a short. The other area is locomotive storage areas. I like to be able to shut off the sound to all the locomotives in a roundhouse with one switch.
John Siekirk

deemery

Quote from: S&S RR on July 28, 2019, 09:38:04 PM
... The other area is locomotive storage areas. I like to be able to shut off the sound to all the locomotives in a roundhouse with one switch.

That's a good point!  The big yard would be on its own block, but I'll add a separate block for the roundhouse.  (I'm years away from tackling the big yard/engine terminal...)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Lynnb

Nice work on the wiring, I'm wondering if you have a separate schematic with all those numbered terminals. Personally I haven't touched my layout since building a couple large tressels, been trying to dedicate time to building structures.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks great. glad you know what you are doing. I'd be totally lost if I had to do that.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on July 30, 2019, 03:38:12 PM
Nice work on the wiring, I'm wondering if you have a separate schematic with all those numbered terminals. Personally I haven't touched my layout since building a couple large tressels, been trying to dedicate time to building structures.

Lynn

Thank you for the kind words.  Yes- I do have multiple layers of schematics.  It is just layers in the CAD drawings. I print what I want on the hardcopy to work with.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on July 30, 2019, 04:01:04 PM
Hey John:

Looks great. glad you know what you are doing. I'd be totally lost if I had to do that.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - we need to get you started with wiring by lighting up those beautiful structures of yours.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  I took an unscheduled trip up to the Northern Headquarters of the S&S RR to check for storm damage. After two days of moving trees everything is cleaned up.  I did spend a couple hours on my design work last night and found a turnout on the track pictures that wasn't on my schematic for the next control panel.  Perfect time to find it. :-[  I will be printing a new copy of the schematic before assembling the next control panel.  Tomorrow, I will be cleaning up the tree that feel in my yard while I was gone, before I can get to work on the railroad.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

It's a great day for working in the gazebo! I'm putting the control panel touch screens together for two more control panels. Really enjoying the beautiful weather. Sunny 70's and low humidity - it just doesn't get any better. It sounds like we are going to have this same weather the next few days so layout work will be limited to the projects that I can do outside. I have plenty of them - keep this weather going.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Zephyrus52246

Looks great, John.  How are you going to attach it so it can be removable in case of repair?

Jeff

S&S RR

John Siekirk