Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

I find that an 'oscillating saw' (this is the one I have:  https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK5151K-Sonicrafter-Oscillating-Oscillation/dp/B01HD4EQTG ) is proving to be a great tool for working on the layout.  Today I used mine to cut a hole in the splines to drop in a coal pit.   They work well in close quarters and cut through just about everything (including screws/nails) pretty effortlessly. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 21, 2020, 06:28:22 PM
I find that an 'oscillating saw' (this is the one I have:  https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK5151K-Sonicrafter-Oscillating-Oscillation/dp/B01HD4EQTG ) is proving to be a great tool for working on the layout.  Today I used mine to cut a hole in the splines to drop in a coal pit.   They work well in close quarters and cut through just about everything (including screws/nails) pretty effortlessly. 

dave

Dave

That is a good idea. It is actually one tool I don't own.  Especially for making modifications like I'm doing now.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

John, What is the size of your layout and the main line height? Thanks Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

FandSM Engineer

Quote from: DennisBourey on January 21, 2020, 09:01:05 PM
John, What is the size of your layout and the main line height? Thanks Dennis

Dennis

My layout started in a room that was 20 feet by 20 feet (Phase I), then came phase II  and III another 20 feet by 40 feet. Then this summer I added another 20 by 20 feet (Phase IV - the Superior Yard). So I guess that makes 1600 square feet but my workshop is part of that space. The basement is a little over 2600 square feet but I will not have another expansion until what I have started is complete.  As for the height, it's a mountain layout so there is a lot of elevation change - the lowest mainline is at 46 inches and the highest mainline is at 57 inches off the floor.  There is a Narrow Gauge Branchline at a maximum of 64 inches off the floor.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on January 21, 2020, 10:32:42 PM
WOW!!!!! Thank you sir........Dennis

Dennis

I have a lot of structure builds and scenery work ahead of me to get this done.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, It's a great looking layout and I hope to do a build with you as soon as I can get this thing building. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on January 22, 2020, 03:30:44 PM
John, It's a great looking layout and I hope to do a build with you as soon as I can get this thing building. Dennis

Dennis

I'm looking forward to seeing your layout start to come together. Remember that it's a long journey and you need to enjoy all the steps.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a panorama view of the site for the town of Sellios and the sister town of VanGelder (south side of the river).
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The three pictures above are posted with my iPad using the small, medium, and large picture settings in photos. I will be using the large so you can see some detail when you click on the picture to blow it up. I think the gallery is a much better way to post pictures - if you want to take the small amount of time it takes to load the pictures in the gallery.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update on the Swakhammer build: Starting to add the detail castings to the main structure.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update on the Fox Run Build: The baseboard has been moved back to my workbench in preparation for the detailing process.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

A few more details where added to the Swakhammer build, today.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk