Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on April 22, 2020, 12:39:52 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on April 21, 2020, 08:37:03 PM
Here is a picture with a few more track sections laid on top, I'm into the turntable before the tracks converge - all is well on the roundhouse project tonight.

Now for the wall castings.

John,
Congratulations on earning the Doctorate of Roundhouse Design Certificate !
Tommy

Thank you Tommy.  I'm sure pilling it higher and deeper on the project. ;)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 22, 2020, 01:49:25 PM
One thought occurred to me:  If you got a 2' section of RibbonRail track gauge, the equivalent in FastTracks SweepSticks, or made your own 2' long strip that is exactly track gauge wide, you could drill a hole in one end and use that as a 'trammel' to lay out the tracks.

dave

Dave

Great minds think alike.  I have one hanging on the wall from the stone roundhouse build a few years back.  Now that I have the castings right it will become very useful in gluing the track in place in the castings in the right orientation.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on April 22, 2020, 03:11:33 PM
Your Fox Run looks fantastic, I had just tripped over Bob Butts Fox Run Milling build from 2014 , I think I was just googling the kit as I've been on the lookout for one for a while now.
I remember back when I was trying to get my tracks alligned for a simply two stall engine house with a newer Walthers TT and although not impossible but wasn't easy, can't imagine how you're figuring this one out. :o

Lynn

Thank you for stopping by and the kind words.  This roundhouse project is all about measuring a dozen times and then gluing once.  I'm getting close to getting the glue bottle out for the base castings. ;)  I want to do a dry fit with the wall castings first. Pictures soon.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Today, I spent a good part of the day sanding and fitting castings for the Brick Roundhouse project.  I'm also sitting down at the detailing workbench to add more details to the Fox Run build.  I can't believe how many detail castings I've added and it will take many more before it is finished.  Tomorrow, I will take some progress pictures. Tonight, I decided to do a complete layout electric test to make sure everything is working properly before I start running trains again.  I already found one of the new turnouts that didn't get a proper gap for the frog.  When I though the turnout it shorted out the power block.  Two minutes with the Dremel and a cutting wheel and the problem was solved.
John Siekirk

BandOGuy

John,
I was too tired to read way back into the turntable thread tonight, but:
If that's the Walthers 110' turntable kit, I just watched a YouTube video this week on installing that unit. At the time of the film, the mounting hole to be drilled by the opening for the indexing mechanism on the roundhouse side of the pit did not correspond to the actual mounting nub under the turntable ring. It was on the wrong side of the index opening on the plan view. Don't know if Walthers has updated the diagram since the film was shot or if it affects your mounting. Just a word of caution.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

S&S RR

Quote from: BandOGuy on April 24, 2020, 09:52:57 PM

John,
I was too tired to read way back into the turntable thread tonight, but:
If that's the Walthers 110' turntable kit, I just watched a YouTube video this week on installing that unit. At the time of the film, the mounting hole to be drilled by the opening for the indexing mechanism on the roundhouse side of the pit did not correspond to the actual mounting nub under the turntable ring. It was on the wrong side of the index opening on the plan view. Don't know if Walthers has updated the diagram since the film was shot or if it affects your mounting. Just a word of caution.

Thank you for the heads up. I think mine is okay because I cut the hole to the diagram and the turntable fit in - but I will check on it the next time I do a test fit. As I remember from my last installation - that was a 90 foot table for the Stone Roundhouse - the big thing to watch is the dead track area. I need to check that out one more time before I start gluing.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

It's really coming along. It looks like A lot of work and planing. Keep at it. Can't wait for more progress.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on April 25, 2020, 11:21:59 AM
Hey John:

It's really coming along. It looks like A lot of work and planing. Keep at it. Can't wait for more progress.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along.  The layout is keeping me out of trouble. I will have some more progress pictures soon.  I'm getting close on the Fox Run build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I took some markup progress pictures of my Fox Run build.  These are the pictures that I will mark up on my iPad with changes etc.  I thought I would share them.  The dirt on the rear of the building was just glued down so it was time to leave it alone for a few hours.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR