Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

That photo of clamped and weighted roundhouse parts brings flashbacks from my CM Roundhouse build :-) :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

John,

The gray mortar looks good but the addition of the darker gray gives it the old coal soot look. I like it.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on May 10, 2020, 10:34:15 AM
I'm watching very closely my friend. Your doing a phenomenal job.....Dennis

Thank you for following along, this is a monster project. I need to count how many window castings I have to paint and I'm afraid too.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on May 10, 2020, 12:46:21 PM
That photo of clamped and weighted roundhouse parts brings flashbacks from my CM Roundhouse build :-) :-)

dave

Dave

Yup, I will get to use every clamp and weight I own on this project.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 10, 2020, 03:47:25 PM
John,

The gray mortar looks good but the addition of the darker gray gives it the old coal soot look. I like it.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for the encouraging words, in the 1940's everything had that old coal soot look. I brought this project forward so I have a place to store my steam locomotives on the layout.  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, the paint booth was a very busy place on the S&S RR. I have castings stacked everywhere. :o

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I think the paint booth is going to need a good cleaning after this project.
John Siekirk

Jerry

This is going to be nice looking roundhouse.  looking forward to the next steps.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on May 11, 2020, 11:18:19 AM
This is going to be nice looking roundhouse.  looking forward to the next steps.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along. I'm starting to paint the concrete parts of the wall, today.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I spent most of the day painting the castings for both the G. Wiliker's build and the Brick Roundhouse build.  Mark I thought you might be interested in the direction I'm going with the stone castings for the G. Wiliker's build. They are not complete but you can see the direction I'm heading.

John Siekirk

vinceg

Looks really good, John. Could you describe the process you used? It's especially timely right now as the first building to be built in the Queen City diorama is the yard office that has a stone first floor. Resin, tho, not metal.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

Quote from: vinceg on May 12, 2020, 08:23:19 AM
Looks really good, John. Could you describe the process you used? It's especially timely right now as the first building to be built in the Queen City diorama is the yard office that has a stone first floor. Resin, tho, not metal.

Vince

Thank you for the kind words. The process is very simple.  I start with a primer base color (I use a rattle can). In this case I picked a brown because the overall color theme is brown for the rocks in the area of my Eagles Nest Yard where this building is located on my layout. Instead of using acrylic paint I'm using pastel chalks. I scrape the powder on to my glass plate and then add alcohol to make a paint.  Then I paint individual stones a base color to start with. Then start dabbing the entire casting with all the other colors I'm using.  I typically have 6 - 10 colors on the pallet. Once I have the colors randomly dispersed on the casting I use a big fluffy brush to blend them all together. This part is done dry.  If you look back in my build thread I have used this process on 6 - 10 builds, now.  I started using the acrylic paint method which works great but you need to keep the paint wet through the blending process for the best results. With the pastel chalk I can start and stop the process at any point and get good results. I also think the pastel chalks give a flatter more stone like texture to the final casting.

The material the casting is made of has no affect on the final look.  To test this on my Brambell's build the retaining wall is made of the original metal castings, resin castings and hydrocal castings that I made with a mold from the original castings. They are installed side by side in the long retaining wall for this build and colored using this process.
Let me know if you have any more questions.  Have fun with this process,  the wall does look bad just before the blending process.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

S&S RR

John Siekirk