Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here is a shot from the crew quarters (aka the bar).

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Tommorrow morning, I will lift it up on to the layout. I have a couple things that I want to do before I slide it in place.  I need to wire the tracks, add the roof vents, and touch up the brickwork.  It will be right at eye level for these tasks.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You can see the four stall section in the picture above already in position. I used it to setup the shims I need to get the correct track height.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture from up above.  You can see the straps across the cutouts in the benchwork that will hold the baseboard at the correct level.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a shot with the test car making sure we didn't build to wide a create a clearance problem.  All is well.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have started doing some sketches on my iPad to figure out what I want to do with the backdrop and scenery in this area.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The four stall section of the roundhouse needs to go back to the workbench for weathering of the roof and installation of the doors.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

I'm glad you made it to the layout without issue. Good luck tomorrow.  How much do you think it weighs?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

Looking forward to the transfer from the cart to the top of the layout.  So well done!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 21, 2020, 08:58:48 PM
I'm glad you made it to the layout without issue. Good luck tomorrow.  How much do you think it weighs?

Curt

Well, both sections of the roundhouse have made it to the layout.  I put them in place and everything fits. I then made a list of things that I want to change. A trim change here a window change there. Then the touchup work.  I will be doing this work over the next few days and then take some pictures of it in place on the layout. The large section weights between 20 - 30 pounds.  The big issue with moving it is the size - it is very bulky.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on July 22, 2020, 09:07:00 AM
Looking forward to the transfer from the cart to the top of the layout.  So well done!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words, as I said above it made it to the top of the layout. I will be working on the turntable and electronics once the touchup work is done.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I mounted the two sections of the Brick Roundhouse in place.  After shearing off 6 wires to the LED's that I need to repair getting them into place for a test fit - I decided that the trim and touchup work will be done with them in place on the layout. A little ladder time beats having to move them back to the workbench. Note to self - all new builds will have the wires securely boxed underneath the baseboard. No more exposed wires.

Tom and Bob - after reading about your recent experience with ladders I positioned the sofa next to the ladder just in -case.  ;)

Here are the pictures I took to mark-up for changes and scenery design work.  I have to hide the holes through the wall - probably with trees.  I thinking right now that I will mount the backdrop to a detachable board mounted to the top of the benchwork.  That will cover the blinds that are covering the window you see in the pictures. 

I should mention that phase V (A few years from now) of the S&S RR will be a second level heading outing both directions from the Roundhouse. The old entertainment center which currently holds my 40 year old stereo will be retired.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk