Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I realigned the 4 stall section of the Roundhouse. I didn't like the track line-up with the turnout when the baseboard was mounted in the hole with the building. You can see in the pictures how I made the hole a little bigger to accommodate the adjustment. I will cover the hole and sand it in during the scenery phase of the project.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

If you have a large Roundhouse project in your future and you don't own a set of the large steel rulers, you need to take a trip to the hardware store.  I use mine a lot but I don't know how you could get everything aligned in a project like this without them.  I have a 24, 36, and 48 inch ruler in my set. Highly recommended tool.
John Siekirk

deemery

Another useful thing for this is a 2' long Ribbonrail track gauge.  That's particularly good for making sure your turntable bridge and lead tracks are absolutely lined up.

That's quite an impressive scene from a distance, John!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

vinceg

fantastic, John. Such a spectacular scene. Looking forward to seeing it loaded with the motive power.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on July 25, 2020, 08:25:11 AM
Another useful thing for this is a 2' long Ribbonrail track gauge.  That's particularly good for making sure your turntable bridge and lead tracks are absolutely lined up.

That's quite an impressive scene from a distance, John!

dave

Dave

Thanks you for the kind words and I agree with your tool addition.  My long track gauge is about 9 inches, which gives me enough alignment for the smaller locomotives that will be housed in this roundhouse. Now that I have had it in place for a couple days I'm realizing how much work there is to do to make it operational. I had forgot how long I worked on the Stone Roundhouse.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: vinceg on July 25, 2020, 08:43:02 AM
fantastic, John. Such a spectacular scene. Looking forward to seeing it loaded with the motive power.

Vince

Thank you, it will be a while before it will be ready for the locomotives but we are getting closer every day.  I plan on starting a couple more builds and finishing this up an hour or two at a time. I will post occasional progress pictures.  Today, I'm adding the moldings along the roofline.
John Siekirk

deemery

John, any thoughts on powering the roundhouse tracks?  I figure to add the track feed to the track in front of the roundhouse, and power each track separately (i.e. on/off)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Truly outstanding John. Like the others I can't wait to see it in operation. On my last layout I ran a extension off the main buss to power the leads that had a DPDT switch that completely isolated the RH area to reduce the noise level.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

That will be an incredible focal point on the layout when it's finished. 

Jeff

PaulS

Looks fantastic John,
Sent you an email offline in connection with some thoughts regarding the backdrop.
All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on July 25, 2020, 02:33:57 PM
John, any thoughts on powering the roundhouse tracks?  I figure to add the track feed to the track in front of the roundhouse, and power each track separately (i.e. on/off)

dave

Dave

I have an switch for each track on/off for my Stone Roundhouse and so far I'm either turning them all on or all off when the roundhouse is in operation. My plan for this Roundhouse is to wire all 15 tracks (actually there will also be outside tracks so probably 20+ tracks to one switch. So there will be lots of locomotive sound or non- coming from the roundhouse area.  I can easily put in a bank of switches and splice the wires to the switches if I decide later that this was a bad choice. Can anyone else offer advice on this?  I have not done a lot of operations at this point, on my railroad.  The operations experience I have - the layouts didn't have on off switch for the roundhouses.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 25, 2020, 03:45:06 PM
Truly outstanding John. Like the others I can't wait to see it in operation. On my last layout I ran a extension off the main buss to power the leads that had a DPDT switch that completely isolated the RH area to reduce the noise level.

Curt

Thank you for the kind words. As I said in my response to Dave, being able to turn off 20 + locomotives is definitely in the plan. I have seen layouts where you couldn't hear yourself think with all the locomotives running at the same time.  I may end up with a bank of switch and a switch for each track but I'm going to try it first with one switch.

I should also mention that being able to turn off all those locomotives is also import on layout startup.
John Siekirk