Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 25, 2020, 04:24:23 PM
That will be an incredible focal point on the layout when it's finished. 

Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for the encouraging words, I'm looking forward to having this thing operational.  It will be awhile yet.  Lots of work to complete before power-up.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: PaulS on July 25, 2020, 08:22:37 PM
Looks fantastic John,
Sent you an email offline in connection with some thoughts regarding the backdrop.
All the best,
--Paul

Paul

Thank you - and I got your email and will be responding.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
John Siekirk

Jerry

That is really an interesting scene or going to be.

Looks to be lots of action on that turntable.

Another wonderful addition to the RR John.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on July 27, 2020, 12:34:54 AM
That is really an interesting scene or going to be.

Looks to be lots of action on that turntable.

Another wonderful addition to the RR John.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words.  This scene will be coming together over the next few weeks.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

As I mentioned, yesterday, I will be starting, or restarted two more builds while I do the finish work on the Brick Roundhouse.  The FSM G. Wilikers which I started a few months back on got to the point where the castings have been painted and 80% completed and the painting process for the main building walls had been established. I have also prepared the base board for the G. Wilikers build.  This kit will end up in the industrial row in the Eagles Nest Yard of my layout.

The second build will be the Rail Scale Miniatures - Whispering Falls Farm.  I have been working on and off for the past couple of weeks on the site design for this kit build. Mark Dalrymple has been doing an excellent job of describing how he develops a scene in his build thread for his Shadowlands and Tellynott Layout and he inspired me to try and describe the thought process and techniques I'm using for the design of this part of my layout. If I can make this work I will continue doing this for the rest of the areas on my layout.

Link to Mark's thread.

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4484.0

At the risk of being banded from "the forum" Mark also has a build thread on another forum which I also follow.

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32581

And as long as I'm completing my reference list. Greg did an excellent build thread on the Whispering Falls Kit that I will be referencing during this build.  Dario added a sheet that list Greg's build thread in the kit.

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51364

I may as well let you know that the third kit on my build list will be the FSM Brownsville Depot which will also be part of the Eagles Nest Yard.  I will be painting and processing the castings for this build along with the Whispering Falls castings.

And with that introduction let me show you the site for the Whispering Falls build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

In addition to being a dairy farm this will also serve as a location for loading and unloading cattle off the train. I have a number of out buildings, including a C.C. Crow horse barn that will also be part of the scene. Over the next few evenings I will describe some of the iterations and the thought process for developing this scene. For me it all starts with what is the story I want to tell with this scene.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on a treat, John.

I promise to get back to that thread of mine soon!  As always I'm enjoying keeping up with your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 28, 2020, 09:11:38 AM
Using real rocks really make the hillside pop.

Curt

Thank you, the rocks rode many miles in my Jeep to get to the S&S RR. I found a place on one of my trips that had rocks that were just the right size and colors. The stone wall in the foreground of the picture has the larger stones glued in place but will be getting multiple layers of smaller talus when complete.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on July 28, 2020, 12:04:18 PM
Hey John:

It's looking just great so far.

Karl

Thanks Karl - at least I have the backdrop started. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on July 28, 2020, 03:36:03 PM
Coming on a treat, John.

I promise to get back to that thread of mine soon!  As always I'm enjoying keeping up with your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along. I'm reading through the build thread that Greg did on the kit and I see some of your comments there. So this is not your first rodeo with this kit.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

To get started with this process, I should explain some background thoughts that I have had for this area. Originally, this was going to be a farm but then when I laid the track through this area a thought it might work better for a small mountain town.  After a number of iterations on the town idea, that I just couldn't make fit, I decided to go back and take a look at Dario's kit which I really liked when it came out over a year ago.  So I ran through the pictures on his website and decide to pull the trigger and buy it. The kits that I have bought for the town scenario are all going to be used in my town of Superior, which will be located near the Brick Roundhouse.

This area is served by both the standard gauge and HOn3 Narrow Gauge Railroads. So in addition to the dairy herd there will also be a coral to house the cattle that are free range in the mountains, with loading ramps for the RR cattle cars. The narrow gauge railroad will also have facilities to offload cattle into the standard gauge loading pens.

I know at this point that I will be changing the configuration of the builds from the kit to fit my scene. I have a series of pictures that describe the process I'm going through that I will share over the next few days. In addition to the outbuildings that come in Dario's kit I will be adding a C.C. Crow course barn (the cowboys need horses to round up the free range cattle in the mountains). I have a corn crib, a couple more axillary barns, and various farm relayed sheds that may become part of the scene.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The first step in the scene design process, for me, was to establish the orientation of the main barn in Dario's kit. I played with the orientation to get the best views of the interior detail along with functionality for the rest of the scene. Here are a few process pictures along with views of the area from different angles. I would like to keep the trees where they are and still see the details of the farm from different viewing angles so I will probably raise the area. Another feature that I would like to achieve is to have the track lower than the buildings in the area. 

John Siekirk