Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This morning I finished cutting all the pieces for the baseboard for the Whispering Falls build.  I took a series of pictures at different angles to use for sketching in my iPad before I moved all the pieces to my workbench for gluing. Let the building begin. ;)   My baseboard is a little different from the one recommended by Dario in the kit. The house for mine is set back to fit my site.  The out buildings will be behind the house and barn and on the other side of the railroad tracks.  There will be a lot of fences and gates to manage the critters. They have to be kept off the tracks, out of the garden, and away from the cliffs surrounding the farm.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update: Today, was casting prep. day. I'm getting the flashing off the castings and mounting them on toothpicks, for the next three builds. The paint booth will be a busy place the next couple days, as I get them all primed. I also started laying out the walls for G. Wilikers. I received the rest of the roof vent castings for the Brick Roundhouse, yesterday. I order enough castings so I can replace the plastic roof vents that I used on the Stone Roundhouse, so I will be painting them all in one big batch.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The castings for Whispering Falls, the vents for the brick roundhouse, and Brownsvillehave all been prepped and are on their way through the paint booth for priming. I mount the smaller castings on toothpicks for the detail painting. Here is a picture of the tools I use to make that happen.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the castings in various stages of the painting process. The hunter green castings are the window castings for G. Wilikers plus some of the castings I need to complete the boiler house for the Brick Roundhouse.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks like you are having fun. I will be following along.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 08, 2020, 09:40:13 AM
Hey John:

Looks like you are having fun. I will be following along.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along, and yes I am having fun. I will be starting to put walls together, today.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I was talking to Frank Baker, yesterday, and he asked me if I had a resent layout diagram.  I can't remember when I last posted this but here we go.

If you find block 42A that is the siding for the farm scene I'm working on. Block 102H is the turntable for the Brick Roundhouse.  G. Wiliker's will be installed between sidings 95G and 66E.  Each power block has a unique number and is controlled by a power switch.
John Siekirk

deemery

Two (related) questions:
1.  Where will the engines be serviced (coal, water, clean-out, etc)
2.  How does an engine/train get from the roundhouse to that yard area (120G) directly above it? 

dave

p.s.  isn't it -great- to have a sink in the train room/workshop!?!?  Half the cost of my finished basement was adding the 3/4 bath, some of that was to get an up-flushing system to get waste water to the septic system.  The marginal cost for the rest of the bath, once I paid for the plumbing supply and wastewater, was pretty low.  I don't know if I'll ever use the shower, but I'm sure it'll be great for eventual resale.
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 08, 2020, 08:33:08 PM
Two (related) questions:
1.  Where will the engines be serviced (coal, water, clean-out, etc)
2.  How does an engine/train get from the roundhouse to that yard area (120G) directly above it? 

dave

p.s.  isn't it -great- to have a sink in the train room/workshop!?!?  Half the cost of my finished basement was adding the 3/4 bath, some of that was to get an up-flushing system to get waste water to the septic system.  The marginal cost for the rest of the bath, once I paid for the plumbing supply and wastewater, was pretty low.  I don't know if I'll ever use the shower, but I'm sure it'll be great for eventual resale.

Dave

Yes the sink in the train room is extremely useful. It's basically a laundry tub.  Our laundry facilities are on the first floor.  I have a full bath with a shower in the basement which really came in handy when I was working on all those plaster mountains.  Just to the left of the bathroom is a full kitchen and bar.  We used it a lot for entertaining when the kids were growing up.  It is now repurposed as a crew lounge and party spot - when we can have parties again. ;)  The big germ has definitely cut down on that activity.

Your second question - The roundhouse is going to be a steam locomotive facility (the diesel facilities will be down in the yard). I have plans for a water tank, clean out pit and a coaling tower near the roundhouse.  The locomotives take a run down the helix to get to the yard. The helix gets the trains from the lower yard level to the upper level and also to the correct level for the by pass through my workshop and into the rest of the layout. I'm working on the best location for the roundhouse boiler house right now.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made progress on all three current builds, today. Here is a progress picture from the workbenches.

Bracing the walls on the G. Wiliker's build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Putting the foundation together for the barn of the Whispering Falls build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Added the doors on the 4 stall section of the Roundhouse - some trim and a sign on the 11 stall section.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

deemery

Looks like the track crew laid down some cork roadbed and then quit, with that tongue hanging into the turntable pit.   ;D

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to