Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on August 24, 2020, 08:50:44 PM
Looking good, John.

I really like the coloring of the stonework.  I do notice a number of air bubbles in the first blown up photo that you may want to address.  I see you opted for timber sills and lintels for the windows.  They appear to have wood grain in them(?)  Is this mentioned in the instructions?

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark

Thank you for stopping by and thank you for the kind words. The air bubbles only show up on a blown up  photograph. If you look at the assembly picture they are real hard to see. Rather than take the time to fill them I decided to go for it on this build. This will be three feet plus back on the layout so only the forum members will know they are there. I did work the wood over for the sills and lintels with a rasp which gives it that worn look.  This building is supposed to be part of the original ranch / farm on the property and will be back against the mountain side.  The instruction do call for the wood sills and lintels. I like the look for an old stone building.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

NKP768

Nice work on the stone effect - do you add the nail holes prior to the first application of the Hunterline stain?
Doug

S&S RR

Quote from: NKP768 on August 25, 2020, 07:32:53 AM
Nice work on the stone effect - do you add the nail holes prior to the first application of the Hunterline stain?
Doug

Doug

Thank you for the kind words and for following along. I didn't put nail heads on this model - sometimes you need to change things up.  I going for the chalky paint - I need a paint job - look for this build.  With this process I would put them on just before the Hunter Line stain.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the completed walls for the G. Wiliker's build.  I'm now going to move them to my layout table for assembly.  The glass plate is now going to be used to make the flooring for the Whispering Falls barn.
You can see that I have been studying the drawings while I painted the wall sections for G. Wilikers.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  For tonight's update I want to start with the Whispering Falls build.  Here is a couple pictures of the barn foundations now that all the clamps and weights are put away and the glue is dry.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next step in the build is to build the main barn floor.  I started cutting the wood for the floor and kept going back to the foundation and then to the site where it will be on my layout. Then I flipped through the instructions.  I was about to build a highly detailed interior beam system that wasn't going to be seen once it was on the layout. So I decided to spend a couple hours this afternoon doing a mockup and some redesign work. First, I wanted to duplicate the part of my Grandparents barn that I remember from my childhood.  The stalls and feeding area where the cows were milked. One of my jobs as a kid was to lock the cows heads in the 
stalls so they would stay in one place while they were milked. I remember the wood stanchions that closed around the cows heads, the feed trough and the trough for the feed when the cows was done with it. So I made up a mockup with some of my recently purchase livestock and guess what - it will fit perfectly in the basement of the barn. 

Jerry - is the word stanchion correct for this?  That's what I remember my Grandparents calling it but it was a few years ago. Here is a few pictures that show the process I went through to visualize what this would look like.

First, line of site into the basement of the barn.  Here is a  couple pictures of the line of site when the foundation is in place on the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

And from the other side if I model this with the doors open. I may have to scratch build the barn doors for this side.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is how I started the process - 11 cows on each side of the barn.  I'm pretty sure my Grandparents had 11 cows that they milked.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

At this point I laid the sketches on top of the foundation and declared this part of the project a go.

I also decided that I wanted to be able to view the interior of the third, "loft", level of the barn so I will be opening up the cable ends and installing large open doors that where used to get the hay into the loft.
The visibility to the interior on the main level of the barn is designed into the kit with large open doors at both ends - see the pictures a few pages back in this thread.  All three interior levels visible and detailed. check
Now for the lighting so it truly is visible on the layout.
John Siekirk