Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Update: Whispering Falls build.  Test fit of the beam structure for the main floor of the barn.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The baseboard is glued together and moved from the layout to one of my workbenches. I will build the diorama here and then move it back to the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The main building for G. Wilikers is going together on my layout table. 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Mark's question prompted me to take a picture of the clamps and fixtures that I have to help with getting things square and held in place as the glue dries. As you can see from the pictures I use a lot of weights and angle plates, too.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

It really helps me having everything within arms reach during this process.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update on G. Wilikers:  The walls of the main building going together.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update on The Whispering Falls Build:  I added the wood floors to the lower level and the main level of the barn.  I used three different colors of Hunterline Stain to get the old board, replaced a few years ago, and replaced recently look. The lower level floor will be heavily weathered to make it look like a barn with cows in it.  Lots of hay, dirt and hay after the cows are done with it.  Next up, scratch building the interior for the lower level.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

More good progress, John.

Looking great.  Do you keep notes on the different techniques/ colouring/ weathering you are using on your builds?  I just wonder as I think I'd be inclined to muddle them up if I was doing three at a time.

Cheers, Mark

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on August 30, 2020, 11:22:02 AM
The wood looks great.

Curt

Thank you, this is a new technique for me - I think it is going to work very nicely inside the barn.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on August 30, 2020, 03:10:45 PM
More good progress, John.

Looking great.  Do you keep notes on the different techniques/ colouring/ weathering you are using on your builds?  I just wonder as I think I'd be inclined to muddle them up if I was doing three at a time.

Cheers, Mark

Mark

Thank you for the encouraging words - I keep some notes on the workbench as I'm building and then these build threads serve as a historical record for me.  It is very rare for me to use the same technique on multiple builds - I keep changing things up so it doesn't all look the same.  Except for the driftwood undercoat on G. Wilikers I'm using a completely different technique between these three builds. It keeps life interesting.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm at the point with both the G. Wilikers build and the Whispering Falls build where I need to figure out what I want to do with lighting. I need to get some serious lighting into the Whispering Falls Barn to show off the interior details.
John Siekirk

deemery

I hope you'll provide some work-in-progress/thought process notes on planning structure lighting.  That's an area that I'm getting into.  One thing I haven't quite figured is how I'll hook up all those lit-up buildings.  I think I'm going to run a 12VDC bus, and just plan all the structure lighting around that as the standard. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to