Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 31, 2020, 02:09:30 PM
I hope you'll provide some work-in-progress/thought process notes on planning structure lighting.  That's an area that I'm getting into.  One thing I haven't quite figured is how I'll hook up all those lit-up buildings.  I think I'm going to run a 12VDC bus, and just plan all the structure lighting around that as the standard. 

dave

Dave

I would be happy to do that. I think that lighting up the interiors of models, especially ones with interior detail like this Whispering Falls Barn, is extremely important.

Step one for me:  Figure out how I can work on the circuit if something goes wrong. I will take a picture tonight and explain why I shot down my first idea with this barn.

My layout has a 110 volt bus running all around the layout so I use 5, 10 and 18 volt power supplies plugged into this bus, as needed. I'm running the LED structure lighting and the touch control turnout controls this way. I think the wire to run a bus is probably a wash with the cost of the power supplies.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

So a few posts on my thought process on the lighting of this barn.  The framework and interior detail will be visible on all three levels of the barn.  Here is a picture of a test I did with the floor sitting on the barn foundation and in position on the layout.  As you can see, I will need interior lighting to see the details in the lower level.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I plan on using the same lights for the barn that I used for my Locomotive Works.  I bought them from Bill at MicroLumina.  If you want to learn about LED lighting and setting up the circuits read Bill's Light Bites on his webpage below. I should mention that Bill made these lights custom for me for the Locomotive Works and I ordered a bunch of them because I have a number of projects where I plan to us them.

https://microlumina.com

I will post some pictures below of the lights I will use and a couple pictures of the Locomotive Works interior to show what I'm after. 

The lights

The lights installed in my Locomotive Works.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Wow - we had a belt break in the Locomotive Works - need to get a maintenance crew over there tomorrow.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, The Locomotive Works look's great with the finished work....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

You will need to read Bill's Light Bites to understand this post.  This is what one of Bill's bookshelves looks like when you put it in a little drawer so you have access for maintenance.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on August 31, 2020, 09:37:21 PM
John, The Locomotive Works look's great with the finished work....Dennis

Dennis

Thank you - I have a lot of hours in that build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally for tonight, here is the first installation of a light in the ceiling of the lower level of the barn. I have some progress pictures of the G. Wilikers build that I will post tomorrow.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The conduit for the wires is a real prototypical look.  In a barn in 1949 all of the wiring would be outside the walls and new.  One more design point for tonight.  This farm/ranch is in the mountains in 1949.  Not exactly on the grid.  So, it looks like a steam boiler and generator will be needed. More details. ;)
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Looks fabulous, John!

The roundhouse interior looks excellent all lit up.  Do I see PPE on those LBP?  I'm guessing making safety glasses for them might be pushing it?  As always, loving your work.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on August 31, 2020, 10:11:22 PM
Looks fabulous, John!

The roundhouse interior looks excellent all lit up.  Do I see PPE on those LBP?  I'm guessing making safety glasses for them might be pushing it?  As always, loving your work.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. Yes - safety glasses is pushing it.  ;) ;D
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

That interior is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

John

Great detailing and lighting.

I'll follow the lightning closely as I need to figure out how to do the Mill.
I need all the help I can get when it comes to the light at the end of tunnel seeing I've done it before!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery

Western Scale Models made a nice generator casting for their stamp mill.  That's one of the more easy parts to find on eBay, etc. 

Are you running 2 conductors through the "conduit", or just 1 wire and using the conduit itself for the other conductor?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to